This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Stresses in Flexible Pavements”.
1. Boussinesq assumed soil as _____________
Explanation: The assumption by Boussinesq was the soil is homogeneous, elastic and isotropic under a circular load.
2. Two elastic theory was developed by _____________
Explanation: The two elastic theory was developed by Burnister after Boussinesq developed the equation for evaluation of stress.
3. Boussinesq assumed the load as a _____________
a) Point load
d) Triangular load
Explanation: Boussinesq assumed the load as a single point load acting at a depth z and radius r.
4. The ratio of z/a=0 represent the stress at _____________
a) Top surface
b) Bottom surface
d) Maximum stress point
Explanation: The depth is zero, so the stress represented is at the surface of the pavement.
5. The z is a function of _____________
a) P, a
b) P, z
c) P, a, z
d) P only
Explanation: The depth is a function of the stress, depth and radius of the load acting on the point.
6. The ratio of the radius r/a=0 represents _____________
a) Center of chart
b) Center of load
c) Center of stress
d) Center of the pavement
Explanation: The radius is zero so it is possible only in a chart, which represents a point in the center of the chart.
7. The Poisson’s ratio of soil is assumed as _____________
Explanation: The Poisson’s ratio for a homogeneous soil is assumed as 0.5.
8. At surface the value of constant F is _____________
Explanation: The value of the constant F in finding out the deflection is 1.5.
9. The unit of deflection is measured in _____________
b) N mm
Explanation: The deflection is measured in mm, cm or m depending on the requirement of the pavement.
10. The constant in rigid pavement design is _____________
Explanation: The constant value of the pavement in rigid pavement design is assumed as 1.18.
11. The diameter of the plate in plate load test is _____________
a) 30 cm
b) 30 mm
c) 3 m
d) 0.3 m
Explanation: The diameter of the plate used in the plate bearing test is 30 cm, it is a rigid plate.
12. What is the minimum deflection assumed in plate bearing test?
a) 0.25 mm
b) 0.25 cm
c) 2.5 cm
d) 2.5 m
Explanation: The deflection is usually fixed in plate bearing test and it varies between 0.25 cm and 0.5 cm.
13. The layer which should have high modulus of elasticity is?
b) Sub grade
c) Sub base
Explanation: The modulus of elasticity should increase as the pavement layer increase from bottom to top.
14. What is the most superior material used in the pavement?
Explanation: The most superior material used in the pavement is bitumen which is mostly used for the surface layer.
15. In which layer system the modulus of elasticity will be equal for all layers?
d) Four layer
Explanation: In the single layer of system all the layers have same modulus of elasticity which means it is covered with only one material.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Highway Engineering
- Participate in Highway Engineering Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Highway Engineering
- Take Highway Engineering Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10