This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Rigid Pavement Design Methods”.
1. Based on topography and climate of the location which factor is estimated?
b) Pavement quality
c) Pavement thickness
d) Pavement design method
Explanation: The thickness is the most important factor that is designed as per requirement, pavement quality and pavement method are indirectly dependent on pavement design.
2. The warping stress is dependent on __________
a) Length of slab
b) length and width of slab
c) Thickness of slab
d) Water content in slab
Explanation: The warping stress is due to the variation in the temperature of the pavement depends on length and width.
3. The first thickness assumed in pavement is called __________
a) IRC thickness
b) MORTH thickness
c) Trial thickness
d) Estimated thickness
Explanation: The first thickness is assumed as a trail thickness, it may be later revised after design.
4. The factor of safety is the stress caused at __________
a) Mid day
Explanation: The stress caused is measured at the mid day due to wheel load and temperature stress.
5. What is the minimum factor of safety for rigid pavement?
Explanation: The minimum factor of safety is 1.1 and if it doesn’t satisfy then the pavement thickness is revised.
6. The Westergaard equation was modified by __________
c) Teller and Sutherland
Explanation: The Westergaard analysis gave low stress results so it was modified by Teller and Sutherland at edge.
7. If the flexural strength of a pavement is 45 and it’s stress is 40 then factor of safety is __________
Explanation: The ratio of the flexural strength to total flexural stress is called as factor of safety.
9. The pavement thickness is usually assumed in rigid pavement as __________
a) 20 cm
b) 25 cm
c) 30 cm
d) 35 cm
Explanation: The trail thickness usually assumed in rigid pavement is 25 cm, if it doesn’t satisfy then the pavement thickness is revised.
10. The temperature differential in coastal regions in India for a thickness of 25 cm is __________
Explanation: The temperature differential in coastal regions in India is assumed as 16.2 degrees centigrade as recommended by IRC.
11. What is the minimum quality of thickness in the low volume roads?
Explanation: The minimum grade required is M 40 but for low volume roads M 30 roads can be used.
12. The cement concrete roads are designed with __________
a) Plain concrete
Explanation: The cement slab is provided with dowel bars but it’s not considered as reinforced concrete.
13. The dowel bars are provided __________
c) Any directoion required
d) In base of pavement
Explanation: The dowel bars are provided mostly in longitudinal direction to prevent movement of pavement.
14. The minimum diameter of dowel bar used is __________
a) 25 mm
b) 35 mm
c) 40 mm
d) 50 mm
Explanation: The minimum diameter of dowel bar used in pavement for load transfer is 25 mm.
15. The dowel should transfer __________
a) 40% of safe load
b) 40% of design load
c) 45% of safe load
d) 45% of design load
Explanation: The dowels are designed in such a way that it should be able to transfer 40% of the design axle load.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.