This set of Highway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Traffic Regulation and Control – 1”.
1. What is the first phase of traffic regulation?
a) Driver controls
b) Vehicle controls
c) Traffic flow regulations
d) General controls
Explanation: The first phase of traffic regulation is driver controls followed by vehicle control, traffic flow regulation and general control.
2. The various regulations imposed through the traffic control devices do not include __________
a) Clear visibility
b) Easy recognition
c) Sufficient time for driver
d) Traffic population
Explanation: The various regulations imposed through the traffic control devices do not include as they are not related to control of traffic.
3. The minimum age for attaining a license for a geared vehicle is?
a) 16 years
b) 18 years
c) 20 years
d) 21 years
Explanation: Then minimum age for driving a non-geared vehicle is 16 years, for geared vehicle it is 18 years and for transport vehicle it is 21 years.
4. The motor vehicle act was revised in __________
Explanation: The motor vehicle act was passed in 1939, and it was revised in 1988.
5. Traffic symbols are classified into how many categories?
Explanation: The traffic symbols are classified into three types they are informatory, cautionary and mandatory.
6. The symbol when violated which may lead to offense is?
d) Both informatory and cautionary
Explanation: Mandatory symbol is a symbol which has to be followed at all times, if violated except for special cases, they may attract a penalty.
7. Which of the following is a disadvantage in one way traffic?
a) Increase in average travel speed
b) More effective coordination of signal system
c) More stream lined movement of vehicles
d) More chances of overtaking
Explanation: In one way traffic there are more chances of overtaking as there is traffic only in one direction, there is a chance of overtaking.
8. The total conflict points at a junction on both two way roads are?
Explanation: The total number of conflict points is the sum of major and minor conflict points, major conflict points are 4 and minor conflict points are 2, so total conflict points are six.
9. The maximum number of conflict points is formed in __________
a) One way regulation on one road
b) One way regulation on two roads
c) Two way regulation on one road
d) Two way regulation on both roads
Explanation: The maximum number of conflict points is formed in two ways regulation on both roads is 24.
10. The specifications for road signs are specified by __________
a) IRC 6
b) IRC 21
c) IRC 67
d) IRC 97
Explanation: The specifications for road signs are specified by IRC 67-2010.
11. The diameter of the small size information board is?
Explanation: The diameter of the small size information board is 600mm, for medium size is 900mm and the large size diameter is 1200mm.
12. Which type of board should be installed if the speed limit is 100kmph?
d) Not required
Explanation: Large sizes of boards are required when speed limit exceeds 100kmph, for lesser speeds small and medium sized boards can be used.
13. Give way sign is of __________
a) Triangular shape
b) Circular shape
c) Octagonal shape
d) Hexagonal shape
Explanation: Give way sign is of triangular shape and it is coloured with a red border and white background.
14. STOP sign is having __________
a) Octagonal shape
b) Circular shape
c) Triangular shape
d) Any shape
Explanation: STOP symbol is of octagonal shape and covered in red background and red border.
15. The clearance time is indicated by __________
Explanation: The clearance time is indicated by amber, in some places yellow and blue color also used.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.