This set of Basic Highway Engineering Questions and Answers focuses on “Maintenence Requirement in Different Road Components”.
1. The maintenance works are not possible for __________
d) Sub grade
Explanation: The sub grade or soil cannot be maintained as it is covered with other layers of surface.
2. The maintenance of rigid pavement is __________
c) Very difficult
Explanation: The maintenance of the rigid pavement is easy when compared to the flexible pavement.
3. The desired cross slope in embankment is __________
Explanation: The desired cross slope is 4 to 5%, as it is required to maintain the embankment dry.
4. On roads where the soil has been deposited should be stripped by __________
b) Vicat apparatus
c) Blade grader
Explanation: The deposited soil should either be removed by using a blade grader or suitable machinery.
5. The soil erosion may take place on roadside drains where the longitudinal slope is?
a) Very steep
d) Not steep
Explanation: The erosion of the soil takes place where the longitudinal slope of the drainage is steep.
6. The longitudinal slope erosion can be corrected by __________
b) Consolidated soil
d) Void ratio
Explanation: The longitudinal slope of the erosion of soil may be corrected by using the compacted soil.
7. The culvert is a structure whose span is less than __________
Explanation: The span of a bridge which is less than 6m is called as a culvert and if up to 15 m as minor bridge and up to 60 m as a major bridge.
8. The slopes and edges of road embankment get eroded leading to the formation of __________
c) Pot holes
Explanation: The slopes and edges of the embankment get eroded usually leading to the formation of ruts.
9. The measure not adopted to take care of the embankment failure is __________
b) Grass turf
c) Stone pitching
d) Rise of embankment above HFL
Explanation: Rise of embankment is not an adopted measure it is considered in the design, before the construction as it is a requirement not modification.
10. The miscellaneous road factor for maintenance is __________
a) Surface of pavement
c) Kerbs and median
d) Geometric design
Explanation: The kerb, median and other facilities like traffic signals etc.., are considered as miscellaneous factor for maintenance.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice basic questions and answers on all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.