This set of Basic Highway Engineering Questions and Answers focuses on “Maintenence Requirement in Different Road Components”.
1. The maintenance works are not possible for __________
d) Sub grade
Explanation: The sub grade or soil cannot be maintained as it is covered with other layers of surface.
2. The maintenance of rigid pavement is __________
c) Very difficult
Explanation: The maintenance of the rigid pavement is easy when compared to the flexible pavement.
3. The desired cross slope in embankment is __________
Explanation: The desired cross slope is 4 to 5%, as it is required to maintain the embankment dry.
4. On roads where the soil has been deposited should be stripped by __________
b) Vicat apparatus
c) Blade grader
Explanation: The deposited soil should either be removed by using a blade grader or suitable machinery.
5. The soil erosion may take place on roadside drains where the longitudinal slope is?
a) Very steep
d) Not steep
Explanation: The erosion of the soil takes place where the longitudinal slope of the drainage is steep.
6. The longitudinal slope erosion can be corrected by __________
b) Consolidated soil
d) Void ratio
Explanation: The longitudinal slope of the erosion of soil may be corrected by using the compacted soil.
7. The culvert is a structure whose span is less than __________
Explanation: The span of a bridge which is less than 6m is called as a culvert and if up to 15 m as minor bridge and up to 60 m as a major bridge.
8. The slopes and edges of road embankment get eroded leading to the formation of __________
c) Pot holes
Explanation: The slopes and edges of the embankment get eroded usually leading to the formation of ruts.
9. The measure not adopted to take care of the embankment failure is __________
b) Grass turf
c) Stone pitching
d) Rise of embankment above HFL
Explanation: Rise of embankment is not an adopted measure it is considered in the design, before the construction as it is a requirement not modification.
10. The miscellaneous road factor for maintenance is __________
a) Surface of pavement
c) Kerbs and median
d) Geometric design
Explanation: The kerb, median and other facilities like traffic signals etc.., are considered as miscellaneous factor for maintenance.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice basic questions and answers on all areas of Highway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!