This set of Basic Civil Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Foundation”.
1. How many types of foundations are there based on depth?
Explanation: The 2 types are shallow and deep foundations. Shallow foundation transfers the load to very near earth. Deep foundations are used for high rise buildings to bear heavy loads.
Explanation: Wall footing or strip footing is a continuous strip of concrete that serves to spread weight of load bearing wall.
3. ___________ footing is used in load bearing masonry construction.
Explanation: The strip footing bears a whole load of an entire wall. It is a continuous footing that runs below the wall.
4. How many types of combined footing are possible?
Explanation: Combined footing is provided when 2 columns are very close by. They can be rectangular or trapezoidal in section.
5. CPRF stands for:
a) Combined Plain Round Foundation
b) Connected Pile Round Foundation
c) Combined Pile Raft Foundation
d) Corrosion Proof Raft Foundation
Explanation: CPRF uses the combination of pile and raft foundation as the name suggests. It is used as a foundation for high rise buildings. It is more powerful, strong, load bearing, safe than raft or pile when used.
6. Micropiles find its main application in retaining walls.
Explanation: Micropiles are used for under pinning. They are used in highways, bridges and transmission tower projects. Sheet piles are extensively used in retaining walls.
7. Steining is a component of which of the below type of foundation?
Explanation: Well foundation is a type of deep foundation. It is shaped like a well. The well is dug, filled with sand/concrete. Steining is the wall provided to the well and it is built over a wedge shaped portion, called well curb.
8. Pier foundation is also called:
Explanation: Caisson foundation is often used in the construction of bridge piers, hence it is also called pier foundation. Caisson can be floated to the site and sunk to the required position. It is used under water also.
Explanation: Friction piles are usually used in construction to provide underground support to structures. They work on static friction developed between soil surface and the pile.
10. Which of the below is not a preliminary consideration for building a foundation?
a) Bearing capacity of soil
b) Ground water condition
c) Settlement control
d) Soil organisms
Explanation: Bearing capacity of soil, ground water conditions and settlement control are all very important parameters to be considered while selecting the right foundation. Every soil contains organisms, foundation should be able to withstand their activities.
11. Machine foundation is subjected to:
a) Static loads
b) Wind loads
c) Static and dynamic loads
d) Dynamic loads
Explanation: Machine foundation is used in industries, workshops, where there is machinery under use. The static load includes a dead load of the machine and dynamic load (the working load). It should be able to withstand both these loads.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Basic Civil Engineering.
To practice all areas of Basic Civil Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Basic Civil Engineering
- Participate in Basic Civil Engineering Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Basic Civil Engineering
- Take Basic Civil Engineering Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10