This set of Basic Civil Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Properties and Uses of Aluminium”.
1. Aluminium is commercially produced from:
a) Aluminium sulphate
Explanation: Bauxite is the most commonly used ore of aluminium for production. It occurs as a weathering product of iron and silica.
2. By which of the below process is Aluminium manufactured?
a) Bayer process
b) Ostwald process
c) Mayer process
d) Haber process
Explanation: In the Bayer process, alumina in bauxite is dissolved in caustic soda solution and precipitated to obtain aluminium hydroxide and calcinated to form pure Al2O3.
3. Which is the most important and useful alloy of Aluminium?
Explanation: Duralumin consists of 95% aluminium, 4% copper, 0.5% magnesium and 0.5% manganese. It is widely used in aircraft manufacturing due to its light weight and high strength.
4. Aluminium has a higher maintenance cost.
Explanation: Aluminium has excellent corrosion resistance and can withstand weathering, hot and humid conditions also. Hence, maintenance cost required is less.
5. Which of the following is a property of aluminium?
a) Hard material
c) Noise control
Explanation: Aluminium is an excellent reflector of electromagnetic and sound waves. Therefore, it is less affected by external noise compared to other building materials.
6. Aluminium appears greyish in colour in pure form.
Explanation: Pure form of Aluminium is white in colour. Its colour can vary from grey to yellow or light green depending on the presence of impurities. Yellow colour is imparted by Iron trichloride (impurity).
7. Aluminium finds its application in:
a) Golf clubs
b) Dehydrating agents
c) Waste management
d) Cricket field
Explanation: Compared to steel, aluminium is lightweight. Aluminium golf heads, shafts allow golfers to swing faster and increase the ball’s distance with each shot.
8. What is the melting point of Aluminium?
Explanation: The boiling point of aluminium is 2470oC. It is strong and can be widely used everywhere.
9. Recycled Aluminium is called:
a) Primary Aluminium
b) Green Aluminium
c) Secondary Aluminium
d) Subsequent Aluminium
Explanation: Recycled Aluminium is called secondary aluminium and same properties of primary aluminium.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Basic Civil Engineering.
To practice all areas of Basic Civil Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Basic Civil Engineering
- Participate in Basic Civil Engineering Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Basic Civil Engineering
- Take Basic Civil Engineering Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10