This set of Basic Civil Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “IS Codes”.
1. How many groups are there in IS codes for Civil Engineering?
Explanation: There are 41 groups or categories of IS codes available for Civil Engineering. Some of them include hardware, stone, ports and harbour, cement and concrete, fire safety, etc.
2. The headquarters of Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is at:
Explanation: It is in Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, Delhi. Regional office, branch offices and sales offices are also there.
3. IS 2062 gives specifications about:
a) High strength steel
b) High strength concrete
c) Concrete for general purpose
d) Steel for general purpose
Explanation: IS 2062 gives the specifications for steel to be used for general purposes.
4. Which is the most important IS code for a Civil Engineer?
a) IS 567
b) IS 456
c) IS 455
d) IS 383
Explanation: IS 456 gives specifications about plain reinforcement concrete. For designing any concrete structure, this IS code is a must.
5. IS 2368 has how many parts?
Explanation: IS 2368 gives specifications regarding aggregates and the methods of test performed on them. There are 9 parts in total, each deal with specific tests.
6. Which IS code is used to refer details regarding measurement of building and civil
a) IS 1200
b) IS 2502
c) IS 1786
d) IS 800
Explanation: There are total of 28 parts in IS 1200. These cover all important information about measurements and deductions of building and civil engineering works.
7. IS 1893-2002 gives details on:
a) Seismic strengthening
b) Improving earthquake resistance
c) Earthquake resistance structures
d) Earthquake resistance design
Explanation: IS 1893-2002 gives the criteria for earthquake resistance design of structures. It is the fifth revised edition.
8. Which IS code gives specifications about dimensions for hot rolled steel structures?
a) IS 808-1979
b) IS 806-1968
c) IS 806-1969
d) IS 808-1989
Explanation: IS 808-1989 gives guidelines on dimensioning of hot rolled steel beams, columns, channel and angle sections.
9. How many parts does IS code 875 contain?
Explanation: IS 875 has five parts which address the imposed, dead, wind, snow and special loads except earthquake that act on structures.
10. Which IS code gives details regarding acid-resistant bricks?
a) IS 4832
b) IS 4860
c) IS 5766
d) IS 5318
Explanation: IS 4860-1968 gives specifications for acid-resistant bricks. IS 4832 deals with mortar, IS 5766 with laying burnt clay brick flooring and IS 5318 with laying flexible PVC sheets and tile flooring.
11. IS 712-1984 gives specifications for gypsum plaster boards.
Explanation: IS 712-1984 gives specifications for building limes. IS 2095 is used to check for specifications for gypsum plaster boards.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Basic Civil Engineering.
To practice all areas of Basic Civil Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.