This set of Basic Civil Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Types of Tiles”.
1. Quarry tile is also called:
a) Granite tile
b) Unglazed ceramic tile
c) Stone tile
d) Workshop tiles
Explanation: Ceramic tile can be glazed or unglazed. Quarry tile is another name for unglazed ceramic tile. It is durable, cheap and natural.
2. Which tile is the most versatile?
Explanation: Slate can be used as roofing shingles, it can be used indoors as well as outdoors, because of its natural looks and range of colours.
3. _________ is used for skirting around bathtubs and mosaics?
Explanation: Onyx has a creamy, pearl like look. It is not commonly used for flooring but can be employed for skirting around bathtubs and mosaics.
4. Drain tiles are suitable for laying in waterlogged areas because:
a) Porous nature
d) Easy installation
Explanation: These are prepared in such a way that even after burning, they are able to retain their porous nature.
5. Which type of tile is suitable for air-conditioned rooms, gymnasiums and skating rinks?
a) Wood tiles
b) Cork tiles
c) Ceramic tiles
d) Concrete tiles
Explanation: Wooden tiles are widely used in such places. They are given a protective coating of varnish. They provide thermal comfort and are durable.
6. How many layers is the encaustic tile made up of?
Explanation: The body is made of coarser clay, face of finer clay and colouring material and back of thin coat of clay to prevent warping.
7. The lower tile in Allahabad tiles is:
Explanation: Allahabad tiles consist of 2 sets of tiles. Upper one is half round in section and the lower one is flat.
8. How many Mangalore tiles are required to cover 1 square metre of roof?
Explanation: The size of conventional Mangalore tile is either of the following:- 410x235mm or 420x250mm or 425x260mm. Approximately 16 tiles can be used in one meter square of a roof.
9. Which IS code gives classifications of ceramic tile?
a) IS 13712
b) IS 13630
c) IS 2248
d) IS 654
Explanation: IS 13712 gives details regarding definitions, classifications, characteristics and marking of ceramic tile.
10. Pan tiles are semi-circular in section.
Explanation: Pan tiles are curved in section. Pot tiles are semi-circular in section and taper along the length.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Basic Civil Engineering.
To practice all areas of Basic Civil Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!