This set of Basic Civil Engineering Interview Questions and Answers focuses on “Geotechnical Investigation and Geosynthetics”.
1. __________ gives general guidance for geotechnical investigation.
Explanation: IGS is Indian Geotechnical Society. This body gives the general guidelines to be followed while conducting a geotechnical investigation. The head office is in Delhi.
2. Geosynthetics includes __________ main product categories.
Explanation: Geosynthetics are synthetic products (polymeric). The eight categories are geotextiles, geogrids, geonets, geomembranes, geosynthetic clay liners, geofoam, geocells and geocomposites.
3. ___________ is useful in determining gradient of water underground.
a) Pressure meter
Explanation: Piezometer is used for long term investigation of ground water tables in cut and fill areas. They are also used to determine if there is upward or downward gradient of water.
4. How many types of primary functions of geosynthetics are there?
Explanation: The main functions are separation, reinforcement, filtration, drainage and containment.
5. CPT is a more popular method compared to SPT as a method of geotechnical soil investigation.
Explanation: CPT is cone penetration test and SPT is standard penetration test. CPT is more popular than SPT because of higher accuracy, speed, more continuous soil profile and less cost.
6. How many steps are involved in a soil investigation?
Explanation: The first step is reconnaissance (visual inspection, maps, photos, etc.). The next step is exploration (geophysical, electrical, pits, etc.). The last step is field tests (vane shear, pumping, penetration, etc.).
7. The structure of a geocell is:
a) 2D honeycombed
b) 2D floccular
c) 3D floccular
d) 3D honeycombed
Explanation: Geocell is also called a cellular confinement system. It has a 3D honeycombed structure, which is filled with compacted soil to make it a confinement system.
8. NDT is not employed in geotechnical investigations.
Explanation: NDT is non-destructive technique and is a modern tool for geotechnical investigation. A ground penetrating radar which utilizes radar pulses for subsurface imaging is used.
9. ___________ is the largest group of geosynthetics.
Explanation: Geomembranes are thin sheets of polymeric material and are impermeable. They are widely used for linings and coverings of liquid or solid storage facilities.
10. Which of the below is not a test on geosynthetics?
a) Grab test
b) Dry sieve test
c) Pumping in test
d) Tear test
Explanation: Pumping in the test is a field test to determine permeability of soil. All the others are used to test geosynthetics.
11. Indirect method of geotechnical investigation is also termed as _____________
a) Geo-chemical methods
b) Geo-physical methods
c) Borehole method
d) Soil mechanics
Explanation: Geo-physical methods use the principle that physical properties of soil vary for different types of soils. It is an indirect method of geotechnical investigation.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Basic Civil Engineering.
To practice all areas of Basic Civil Engineering for Interviews, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Basic Civil Engineering
- Participate in Basic Civil Engineering Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Basic Civil Engineering
- Take Basic Civil Engineering Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10