This set of Basic Electrical Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Kirchhoff’s Voltage Law”.
Explanation: Using KVL, 12-V1-8=0. V1= 4V.
2. KVL deals with the conservation of?
Explanation: KVL states that the sum of the potential energy and taken with the right sign is equal to zero, hence it is the conservation of energy since energy doesn’t enter or leave the system.
Explanation: Total resistance = 5+10+15 = 30 ohm. Current in the circuit is 12/30 A.
Voltage across 10 ohm resistor is 10*(12/30) = 4V.
Explanation: Using KVL in loop 1, 10-100 i1=0. i1=0.1A
Using KVL in outer loop, -100i2+20=0 i2=0.2A.
5. The sum of the voltages over any closed loop is equal to __________
Explanation: According to KVL, the sum of the voltage over any closed loop is equal to 0.
6. What is the basic law that has to be followed in order to analyze the circuit?
a) Newton’s laws
b) Faraday’s laws
c) Ampere’s laws
d) Kirchhoff’s law
Explanation: Kirchhoff’s laws, namely Kirchhoff’s Current Law and Kirchhoff’s Voltage law are the basic laws in order to analyze a circuit.
7. Every____________ is a ____________ but every __________ is not a __________
a) Mesh, loop, loop, mesh
b) Loop, mesh, mesh, loop
c) Loop, mesh, loop, mesh
d) Mesh, loop, mesh, loop
Explanation: According to Kirchhoff’s Voltage Law, Every mesh is a loop but every loop is not a mesh. Mesh is a special case of loop which is planar.
Explanation: Assuming i1 and i2 be the currents in loop 1 and 2 respectively. In loop 1, 4+2i1+3(i1-17/3)+4(i1-i2)+5=0
In loop 2, i2(4+1+5)-4i1-5=0 =>-4i1+10i2=5.
Solving these equations simultaneously i2=1.041A and i1=1.352A
Explanation: For branch A: VAC=15*20/(25+15)=7.5V
For branch B: VBC= 10*20/(10+40)=4V
Applying KVL to loop ABC:
10. KVL is applied in ____________
a) Mesh analysis
b) Nodal analysis
c) Both mesh and nodal
d) Neither mesh nor nodal
Explanation: Mesh analysis helps us to utilize the different voltages in the circuit as well as the IR products in the circuit which is nothing but KVL.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Basic Electrical Engineering.
To practice all areas of Basic Electrical Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Basic Electrical Engineering
- Participate in Basic Electrical Engineering Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Basic Electrical Engineering
- Take Basic Electrical Engineering Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10