This set of Basic Electrical Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Generation of an Alternating EMF”.
1. Which, among the following, is the correct expression for alternating emf generated?
Explanation: The correct expression for alternating emf generated is e=2Blusin(theta). Where B stands for magnetic field density, l is the length of each of the parallel sides u is the velocity with which the conductor is moved and theta is the angle between the velocity and the length.
2. What should theta be in order to get maximum emf?
Explanation: The value of theta should be 90 in order to get maximum emf because e=2Blusin(theta) and sin is maximum when theta is 90.
3. Calculate the maximum emf when the velocity is 10m/s, the length is 3m and the magnetic field density is 5T.
Explanation: We know that: e=2Blusin(theta)
Substituting the values from the given question, we get e=300V.
4. When a coil is rotated in a magnetic field, the emf induced in it?
a) Is maximum
b) Is minimum
c) Continuously varies
d) Remains constant
Explanation: When a coil is rotated in a magnetic field the emf continuously varies as the cross sectional area varies due to which the number of flux lines crossing it varies, which causes the emf to vary.
5. An E.M.F. can be induced by ___________
a) Change in magnetic field
b) Change in the area of cross section
c) Change in angle between magnetic field and area
d) Change in magnetic field, area and angle
Explanation: This is the dot product of magnetic field vector and area vector.
emf=BAcos(theta), hence if either of the three, that is, magnetic field, area or angle changes, the emf will change.
6. In an A.C. generator, increase in number of turns in the coil _________
a) Increases emf
b) Decreases emf
c) Makes the emf zero
d) Maintains the emf at a constant value
Explanation: In an A.C. generator, the emf increases as the number of turns in the coil increases because the emf is directly proportional to the number of turns.
7. The number of cycles that occur in one second is termed as ___________
Explanation: The number of cycles that occur in one second is known as the frequency. It is the reciprocal of the time period.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Basic Electrical Engineering.
To practice all areas of Basic Electrical Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.