This set of Basic Electrical Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Generation of an Alternating EMF”.
1. Which, among the following, is the correct expression for alternating emf generated?
Explanation: The correct expression for alternating emf generated is e=Blvsin(θ). Where B stands for magnetic field density, l is the length of each of the parallel sides v is the velocity with which the conductor is moved and θ is the angle between the velocity and the length.
2. What should theta be in order to get maximum emf?
Explanation: The value of θ should be 900 in order to get maximum emf because e = Blvsin(θ) and sin is maximum when θ is 900.
3. Calculate the maximum emf when the velocity is 10m/s, the length is 3m and the magnetic field density is 5T.
Explanation: We know that: emax=Bvl
Substituting the values from the given question, we get e=150V.
4. When a coil is rotated in a magnetic field, the emf induced in it?
a) Is maximum
b) Is minimum
c) Continuously varies
d) Remains constant
Explanation: When a coil is rotated in a magnetic field, cross sectional area varies due to which the number of flux lines crossing it varies, which causes the emf to vary continuously.
5. emf is zero if the angle between velocity and length is _____
Explanation: If the angle between velocity and length is zero, sinθ=0
So, e=Bvlsinθ = 0.
6. In an A.C. generator, increase in number of turns in the coil _________
a) Increases emf
b) Decreases emf
c) Makes the emf zero
d) Maintains the emf at a constant value
Explanation: In an A.C. generator, the emf increases as the number of turns in the coil increases because the emf is directly proportional to the number of turns.
7. The number of cycles that occur in one second is termed as ___________
Explanation: The number of cycles that occur in one second is known as the frequency. It is the reciprocal of the time period.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Basic Electrical Engineering.
To practice all areas of Basic Electrical Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Basic Electrical Engineering
- Participate in Basic Electrical Engineering Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Basic Electrical Engineering
- Take Basic Electrical Engineering Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10