This set of Separation Processes Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Electrophoresis”.
1. Which technique separates charged particles using electric field?
c) Protein synthesis
d) Protein denaturing
Explanation: Electrophoresis is the technique that separates charged particles using electric field.
2. Electrophoresis was developed by:
Explanation: Tiselius developed the electrophoresis technique.
3. The speed of migration of ions in electric field depends upon:
a) Shape and size of molecule
b) Magnitude of charge and shape of molecule
c) Magnitude of charge shape and mass of molecule
d) Magnitude of charge and mass of molecule
Explanation: The speed will only depend on charge and shape. More the charge more will be the speed.
4. Which of the following statements is true about migration of biomolecules?
a) The rate of migration is directly proportional to the resistance of medium
b) Rate of migration is directly proportional to current
c) Low voltage is used for separation of high mass molecules
d) Rate of migration is inversely proportional to current
Explanation: More the current passing more will be the migration. Hence there is a direct proportion.
5. What does the electrophoresis apparatus consist of?
a) Gel, buffer chamber and fire pack
b) Buffer chamber and electrophoresis unit
c) Electrophoresis unit and gel separator
d) Power pack and electrophoresis unit
Explanation: The apparatus consists of power pack and electrophoresis unit.
6. If proteins are separated according to their electrophoretic mobility then the type of electrophoresis is:
a) SDS PAGE
b) Affinity Electrophoresis
c) Electro focusing
d) Free flow electrophoresis
Explanation: In the technique of SDS page, the proteins are separated according to their electrophoretic mobility.
7. The electrophoretic mobility denoted as µ is mathematically expressed as:
Explanation: v/E is the formula for electrophoretic mobility which is the ratio of velocity of the biomolecule in the electric field and it’s intensity.
8. Which of the following factors does not influence electrophoretic mobility?
a) Molecular weight
b) Shape of molecule
c) Size of molecule
d) Stereochemistry of molecule
Explanation: The stereochemistry of molecule won’t have any effect on electrophoretic mobility since it is dependent on velocity and intensity and not allighnment.
9. When is electrophoresis not used?
a) Separation of proteins
b) Separation of amino acids
c) Separation of Lipids
d) Separation of nucleic acids
Explanation: Electrophoresis cannot be used in separation of lipids.
10. What cannot be a reason for using electrophoresis?
a) Comparing two sets of DNA
b) Organizing DNA by shape of backbone
c) Organizing DNA fragments from largest to smallest
d) Organizing DNA in order we can see
Explanation: Electrophoresis cannot arrange molecules on shape of backbone.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Separation Processes.
To practice all areas of Separation Processes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.