This set of Separation Processes Questions and Answers for Freshers focuses on ” Energy, Entropy and Availability Balance”.
1. Which of the following is a correct equation of energy balance?
a) ∑out of system nh+Q+Ws – ∑insystem nh+Q+Ws=0
b) ∑out of system nh+Ws- ∑insystem nh+Q+Ws=0
c) ∑out of system nh+Q+Ws – ∑insystem nh+Ws=0
d) ∑out of system nh+Ws – ∑insystem nh+Ws=0
Explanation: Heat giver or taken and shaft work also must be taken into account.
2. Which of the following is a correct equation for entropy balance?
a) ∑out of system (nS+Q/Ts) – ∑insystem (nS)=0
b) ∑out of system (nS+Q/Ts) – ∑insystem (nS+Q/Ts)=ΔSr
c) ∑out of system (nS) – ∑insystem (nS+Q/Ts)=ΔSr
d) ∑out of system (nS+Q/Ts) – ∑insystem (nS+Q/Ts)=0
Explanation: Initial entropy minus final entropy gives the difference in the entropy.
3. What is the formula for minimum work of separation?
a) ∑out of system (nb) – ∑insystem (nb)=Ws
b) ∑out of system (nb) – ∑insystem (nb)=0
c) ∑out of system (nb) – ∑insystem (nb)= ΔSr
d) ∑out of system (nb) – ∑insystem (nb)=Δnb
Explanation: The difference of the molar availabilities gives the minimum work of separation.
4. What is the formula for efficiency?
a) η = Wmin /(LW + Wmax)
b) η = Wmax /(LW + Wmax)
c) η = Wmin /(LW + Wmax)
d) η = Wmin /( Wmax)
Explanation: Only Wmin is considered and lost work is considered.
5. What is the maximum of energy converted to shaft work if stream is taken to reference state?
a) Gibbs energy
b) Availability function
d) Change in entropy
Explanation: b = h – tS the availability function which the maximum energy converted to shaft work.
6. What is the formula for lost work?
a) LW = h- TΔS
b) LW = T0 – TΔSirr
c) LW = T0 ΔSirr
d) LW = T0 – Sirr
Explanation: The multiplication in the absolute temperature and the change in entropy give the lost work.
7. What is the magnitude of lost work not dependent upon?
a) Process irreversibilities
b) Fluid friction
c) Mass transfer due to finite concentration
d) Mass transfer due to finite temperature driving forces
Explanation: Mass transfer is not affected by finite temperature driving forces; hence it is a wrong option.
8. Why does the reduce in lost work have limitation?
a) Equipment size decreases
b) Equipment size increases
c) Flow rate decreases
d) Flow rate increases
Explanation: As the driving forces decrease to reduce lost work, the equipment size increases.
9. What is the lost work is absolute temperature is 303K and the change in entropy is 1000KJ/h-k
Explanation: LW = T0 ΔSirr.
10. If the minimum work of separation is 100KJ and the lost work is 1000KJ, what is the efficiency of separation process?
Explanation: η = Wmin/(LW + Wmax).
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Separation Processes.
To practice all areas of Separation Processes for Freshers, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.