This set of Separation Processes Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Selection of Feasible Separations”.
1. Which of the factors influence the feed conditions?
b) Capitol cost
d) Flow rate
Explanation: The ease of flow rate is a feed condition that will decide the separation process to be used.
2. Which of the factors influence the product conditions?
b) Capitol cost
d) Flow rate
Explanation: The phase of the products will also decide the product conditions which in turn decides the process used.
3. What are NOT the characteristics of separation operation?
a) Ease of staging
b) Ease of scale up
c) Operating cost
d) Energy requirements
Explanation: Operation cost is not a characteristic.
4. Which of the following can add significant cost to separation process?
a) Feed vaporization
c) Flow rate
Explanation: The cost of feed vaporization is very high compared to the other three.
5. Which is the most important product condition?
Explanation: Purity is most important because other conditions can be altered by energy transfer.
6. What is the products price directly proportional to according to keller’s correlation?
c) Amount of feed
d) Amount of product
Explanation: According to Keller’s correlation, more the dilution more is the price of the protein.
7. Which of the following is true?
a) Operations based on barriers are more costly than operations based on use of solid agent
b) Operations based on use of solid agent are more costly than operations based on use of barriers
c) Operations based on use of creation are costlier than operation based on use of barriers
d) Operation based on addition of phase are more costlier than operations based on use of barriers
Explanation: Use of a barrier is most costly of all the other mentioned.
8. What is necessary if there is potential impurity or possible corrosion?
a) Parallel units
b) Maximum size units
d) New plant
Explanation: Operations near the bottom require pilot-plant test to see whether there are impurities or corrosions or not.
9. Ease of staging is not easy for which processes?
c) Membrane separation
Explanation: Ease of staging is the ease of providing multiple stages which is not easy in crystallization.
10. For which of the following processes there is always a need for parallel units?
a) Membrane separation
Explanation: Membrane separation requires parallel units because for capacities requiring larger size, parallel units are necessary.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Separation Processes.
To practice all areas of Separation Processes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!