This set of Separation Processes Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Membrane Materials”.
1. By which reaction are synthetic polymers not made?
b) Free radical addition
c) Ion-catalyzed addition
Explanation: Hydroxylation reaction cannot make a polymer or cannot form a long chain, hence not used to make synthetic polymer.
2. What are the linear chain polymers that get soften on increase in temperature?
Explanation: The thermoplastic polymers are linear chain polymers which are soluble in organic solvents and soften upon increase in temperature.
3. Which of the following is not a property of thermosetting polymer?
a) Highly crosslinked
b) Decompose on increase in temperature
c) Insoluble in organic solvents
Explanation: Thermosetting polymers may or may not be amorphous. Hence it is not a property of a thermosetting polymer.
4. What is a glass transition temperature?
a) When a rubbery polymer turns into glass
b) When a glassy polymers turns into rubbery polymer
c) When the polymer becomes a melt
d) When the melting point is reached
Explanation: When the temperature of a glassy polymer is reached a certain temperature known as glass transition temperature is achieved where the polymer turns rubbery.
5. The reaction product of cellulose and acetic anhydride is:
a) Acetic cellulose
b) Cellulose acetate
c) Cellulose diacetate
d) Cellulose triacetate
Explanation: The reaction of product of cellulose and acetic anhydride is cellulose triacetate which is hydrophobic, highly crystalline and high quality.
6. To increase the strength of polyisoprene ,it is vulcanized with:
Explanation: Vulcanization is done with the help of sulphur, a process that introduces crosslinks.
7. Which of the following is not a property of aromatic polyamides?
a) Low melting
c) High resistance to solvents
d) Long term thermal stability
Explanation: Aromatic polyamides are high melting crystalline polymers.
8. Which of the following true about polycarbonates?
b) Not ductile
Explanation: Polycarbonates which are characterized by –OCOO- chain are amorphous polymers.
9. Polysulphones contain the _______ group.
Explanation: Polysulphones can be easily made into fibres and all of them contain a SO2 group.
10. Which of the following is untrue about Polytetrafluoroethylene?
a) Branched chain
b) Highly crystalline
c) Exceptional thermal stability
d) High degree of polymerization
Explanation: Polytetrafluoroethylene is a straight chain polymer and can be formed into films and tubing.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Separation Processes.
To practice all areas of Separation Processes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!