This set of Separation Processes Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Industrial Chemical Processes”.
1. Which manner is a chemical or biochemical plant not operated in?
Explanation: If a chemical plant is operated in a discontinuous manner, time will be illogically wasted.
2. When is a separation process not required in a manufacturing process?
a) When there is a decomposition reaction
b) When there is a complete conversion
c) When the byproducts are in form of gases
d) When the reaction is reversible
Explanation: If there is a complete conversion of reactants to products, there will be no need for separation since no reactants are left.
3. If only 5% of Ethylene is converted to Ethylene glycol, why is there a need of separation process?
a) To feed more reactant to the reacting mixture
b) To remove the ethylene glycol formed
c) To recover the unreacted Ethylene Glycol
d) To start an intermediate reaction
Explanation: If the unreacted reactant is reused the cost of the manufacturing in turn shall be reduced since there will be less requirement for feeding new reactant and near complete conversion could be achieved.
Explanation: The above reaction will not require a separation process since there is a complete conversion of reactants to product.
5. How is the Diethyl Ether removed in the manufacturing of ethanol from ethylene?
a) Directly removed
b) Crude distillation column
c) Low pressure flash drum
d) Light-ends tower
Explanation: Diethyl ether is removed using a light ends tower easily.
6. Chemical reactions require feed mixtures from non-renewable resources like coal, petroleum. What is used in place of non-renewable sources?
Explanation: Many of the products given by coal, petroleum are given by biomass too and it is less polluting.
7. Which of the following is a condition of operation for biochemical plant?
a) Metallic catalyst
b) Chemical catalyst
c) Elevated temperature
d) Non-pathologic state of the organism
Explanation: If any condition is used in a biochemical plant then there are chances of the organisms dying.So a nn-pathological state is preferred.
8. In a biochemical plant, what do the physiological conditions vary with?
a) The reaction
b) State of the products
c) The micro-organism
d) The ambient conditions
Explanation: The physiological condition has to be dependent on the micro-organism because micro-organism activity can be maximsed at certain conditions only.
9. How can be citric acid produced other than from lemons?
a) Aerobic fermentation of starch
b) Anaerobic fermentation of starch
c) Aerobic fermentation of glucose
d) Anaerobic fermentation of glucose
Explanation: The aerobic fermentation gives a considerate amount of citric acid required in various chemical and biochemical reactions.
10. Which of the following separation techniques is NOT used in the process of manufacturing of citric acid ?
Explanation: Distillation is not required in the manufacturing of itric acid since there are no two products forming which are needed to be separated having difference in boiling points.
11. What separation technique is used when a separation operation is accompanied by chemical reaction that facilitates separation?
b) Fractional distillation
c) Reactive distillation
d) Fractional crystallization
Explanation: Reactive distillation is best employed in such conditions when the separation process is accompanied by chemical reaction like absorption of SO2 by limestone slurry.
12. Which of the following machines do not require a chemical separation technique?
a) The washing machine
c) Coffee machine
d) Water cooler
Explanation: The coffee machine leaches oil from the coffee beans leaving behind the ingredients responsible for acidity and bitterness.
13. Which of the following is NOT an importance of separation process?
a) Reduces the operating cost
b) Reduces the risk of explosion
c) Reduces the probability of side reactions
d) Increases the speed of the reaction
Explanation: Separation process cannot accelerate a chemical reaction unless the byproduct is hindering the formation of product. Normally, a catalyst is used to accelerate a reaction.
14. Which of the following is NOT used to represent a chemical process?
a) Block flow diagram
b) Process-flow diagram
c) Flow chart
Explanation: A flow chart is used to represent a computer program and not a chemical reaction per se.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Separation Processes.
To practice all areas of Separation Processes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.