This set of Automotive Engine Components Design Questions and Answers for Aptitude test focuses on “IC Engine – Push Rod Design”.
1. Pushrods are used in which type of valve mechanized engine?
a) Overhead valve
b) Side valve
c) Bottom face valve
d) Under the head valve
Explanation: Pushrods are used inoverhead valve type of valve mechanized engine and are connected between cam and rocker of the engine component. This uses a ball and socket mechanism.
2. Pushrods are connected between which two parts of the valve gear mechanism?
a) In the crankshaft
b) In the alternator
c) Cam and rocker
d) In the Fuel pump
Explanation: Pushrods are connected between cam and rocker of the engine component. These are hollow tubesmade by duralumin material. This results in good strength and low weight.
3. Which of the mentioned below material is used in pushrod?
a) Mild steel
b) Duralumin tube
c) Steel tube
Explanation: Pushrods are made of Duralumin tube, due to its low weight property. The sockets at the end of pushrod useball and socket joint with a grease for lubrication between it.
4. Which type of joint is used at the end of pushrod?
a) Ball and sockets
b) Ball and spigot
c) Socket and cotter
d) Cotter and key
Explanation: Ball and socket is the mechanism involved in pushrod. The socket is made at one end of the pushrod and ball is present in that. Above the ball, a tappet is present to reduce the friction.
5.The sockets at the end of the pushrod are connected by which fit?
a) Nut and bolt
d) Force fit
Explanation: The sockets at the end of pushrod are connected by force fit and Ball and sockets are the two types of joints used at the end of the pushrod.
6. The pushrod is designed as a column based on what criteria?
d) Both tensile and compressive
Explanation: The pushrod is designed as a column based on buckling criteria; pushrods are often subjected to a compressive force which results in buckling.
7. What is the cross-section of the pushrod?
Explanation: Pushrods are a hollow tube made by duralumin metal with a circular cross-section which results in a reduction of weight and high strength.
8. Pushrods are solid rod.
Explanation: Pushrods are made with a hollow rod. The main factor here is the weight, for the same work hollow rod is more efficient than a solid rod, and both the rods have the same strength.
9. Pushrods are in direct contact with valves?
Explanation: When cam pushes the tappet there is an opposite force from pushrod, pushrods are in direct contact with rocker arm and the tappet.So pushrods are not in direct contact with the valve.
10. Calculate the base circle diameter of cam, when bore diameter is 150mm?
11. The tappet is subjected to which force?
a) Both compressive and tensile
b) Neutral force
Explanation: Tappets are subjected to a compressive force; tappet is connected between the cam and the pushrod. When cam pushes the tappet there is an opposite force from pushrod.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Automotive Engine Components Design.
To practice all areas of Automotive Engine Components Design for Aptitude test, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Automotive Engine Design
- Participate in Automotive Engine Design Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Automotive Engine Design
- Take Automotive Engine Design Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Mechanical Engineering Books
- Buy Automotive Engine Design Books
- Apply for Automotive Engine Design Internship
- Apply for Mechanical Engineering Internship
- Practice Mechanical Engineering MCQs