This set of Casting Multiple Choice Questions & Answers focuses on “Hot Chamber And Cold Chamber Die Casting”.
1. In pressure die casting, what is the minimum pressure that can be applied?
a) 50 kg/cm2
b) 60 kg/cm2
c) 70 kg/cm2
d) 80 kg/cm2
Explanation: The minimum pressure, which can be applied in a pressure die casting is 70 kg/cm2. Below this pressure at 50 or 60kg/cm2, the process of casting will not take place.
2. What is the maximum pressure, which can be applied in a pressure die casting?
a) 4530 kg/cm2
b) 4980 kg/cm2
c) 5000 kg/cm2
d) 5100 kg/cm2
Explanation: The maximum pressure, which can be applied in a pressure die casting is 5000 kg/cm2. For some castings, with lesser hardness, the maximum pressure limit is lesser. If the magnitude of pressure applied exceeds the value of 5000kg/cm2, then the cast may get damaged.
3. Alloys of which of the following metal is not used for hot chamber die casting?
Explanation: Among the following metals, the alloys which are made up of iron are least manufactured using hot chamber die cast method, while all other are widely used.
4. In cold chamber die casting, what is the minimum pressure that can be applied?
a) 140 kg/cm2
b) 180 kg/cm2
c) 150 kg/cm2
d) 200 kg/cm2
Explanation: In cold chamber die casting, a decent amount of pressure has to be given. The minimum pressure, which can be applied in a cold chamber die casting is 200 kg/cm2.
5. In cold chamber die casting, what is the maximum pressure that can be applied?
a) 500 kg/cm2
b) 1000 kg/cm2
c) 1500 kg/cm2
d) 2000 kg/cm2
6. In hot chamber die casting, before the end of the stroke, what uncovers the port?
c) Burning flame
d) Die cavity
Explanation: In the process of hot chamber die casting, as soon as the stroke ends, there has to be some part which would remove the cover over the port. In hot chamber die casting, before the end of the stroke, it is the plunger that uncovers the port.
7. Which of the following is not counted among the limitations of pressure die casting?
a) Only small parts can be produced
b) High cost
c) Low scale production
d) Castings are porous
Explanation: Pressure die casting are used for mass production, the reason being, that equipments needed in pressure die casting are not available at low costs. The dies used in this process too are very expensive.
8. Up to what tolerances can pressure die casting be possible?
a) ± 0.067mm
b) ± 0.076mm
c) ± 0.025mm
d) ± 0.052mm
Explanation: Pressure die casting, overall is a very useful process. It is handy when small parts are to be produced. Up to ± 0.076mm of close tolerance, in pressure die casting, making small parts becomes possible.
9. Up to what thickness can the sections be casted?
Explanation: In pressure die casting, it is one of the advantages of this process, that castings which have a very small sections too can be casted by it. The section of the casts can be manufactured up to 0.5mm.
10. In pressure die castings, production rate is low?
Explanation: In pressure die castings, a very high production rate is possible, as it becomes economical for large quantities.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Casting.
To practice all areas of Casting, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.