This set of Casting Questions and Answers for Entrance exams focuses on “Jointing Materials”.
1. To join pieces of timber in width and thickness is called?
a) Pattern filling
Explanation: The process of joining pieces of timber in width and thickness is called as building-up. A mortise is a wood working machine, used for mortising tenon joints and brazing is used in welding.
2. Building-up process is used for making what?
a) Shields and boards
c) Round pins
3. Which method is used for locking planks and bars?
Explanation: The process of locking planks and bars together at a given angle is called as mortising. A mortise is a wood working machine, used for mortising tenon joints. A mortise can also be used for cutting square holes in wood.
4. Wooden workpieces of a pattern set come in which of the following type?
Explanation: Wooden workpieces of a pattern set to come in circular type which are used for making annular parts and elements having a trough shape.
5. Rectangular wooden workpiece of a pattern set is not used for making?
d) Drum type elements
Explanation: Drum type elements are made using circular wooden workpiece of a pattern set, while the remaining ones are made out of the rectangular wooden workpiece.
6. Design of pattern elements and method of jointing depend on?
Explanation: The design of the elements of pattern and its method of joining depends on the strength and the accuracy to which the pattern has to be made.
7. What shape does fillet pieces have?
c) Convex and concave
Explanation: Fillets have different construction for the straight and the corners which are not split. They are made up of milled concave pieces stuck in their position.
8. The following wooden workpiece is which type of pattern set?
b) Trough shaped
Explanation: The given figure represents a rectangular wooden workpiece, while the other remaining three are types of cylindrical pattern set.
9. What should the radius of fillet be to allow fillet sharp angles?
a) More than 15mm
b) Less than 10mm
c) Between 10mm and 15mm
d) More than 20mm
Explanation: Radius of the fillet in order to allow filleting sharp angles, must be less than 10mm, in all classes of pattern. If the radius exceeds this value or goes below it, there would be defects in the cast.
10. Mortising does locking at given angles.
Explanation: A mortise is a wood working machine, used for mortising tenon joints and the process of locking planks and bars together at a given angle is called as mortising. A mortise can also be used for cutting square holes in wood.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Casting.
To practice all areas of Casting for Entrance exams, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Casting Forming and Welding I
- Participate in Casting Forming and Welding I Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Casting Forming and Welding I
- Take Casting Forming and Welding I Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Practice Casting, Forming and Welding II MCQ
- Apply for Casting, Forming and Welding I Internship
- Buy Casting, Forming and Welding I Books
- Practice Metallurgical Engineering MCQs
- Apply for Mechanical Engineering Internship