This set of Biochemistry Quiz focuses on “Genome Alterations and New Products of Biotechnology”.
1. Rauolfia serpentine, to save this plant under the threat of extinction, which of the following techniques is useful?
a) Genetic engineering
b) In vitro culture
c) DNA fingerprinting
d) Hybridoma technology
Explanation: In vitro culture is useful in saving this plant from extinction.
2. Transgenic organisms are generally __________
a) Extinct organisms
b) Naturally occurring and endemic
c) Produced by traditional plant breeding technique
d) Produced by gene transfer technology
Explanation: Transgenic technology, also known as genetic engineering involves the transfer of genes from one species to another.
3. Dolly, the first animal produced by cloning is a __________
Explanation: Dolly is a female domestic sheep that was cloned using nuclear transfer process from an adult somatic cell.
4. Gene therapy is a technique preferred to cure inherited diseases by __________
a) Repairing the faulty gene
b) Introducing the correct copy of the gene
c) Adding new cells to the body
Explanation: By inserting a gene in place of defective ones in order to correct genetic disorders is included in gene therapy.
5. Glucose is added to the tissue culture media as a/an __________
a) Carbon source
b) Growth regulator
c) Solidifying agent
Explanation: Energy is derived from glucose.
6. Explant can be a __________
a) Cut part of the plant used in tissue culture
b) Plant extract used in tissue culture
c) Source of growth regulators added to media
d) Solidifying agent
Explanation: Explant is a piece of plant or animal tissue placed in a culture medium.
7. Meristem culture helps in developing which of the following?
a) Tall plants
b) Disease resistant plants
c) Virus free plants
d) Hybrid plants
Explanation: Apical meristem from the infected plant is collected and cultivated in appropriate media so that new, complete and virus-free plants develop.
8. Which of the following is used to transfer genes in plants?
a) Ti plasmid
b) pBR 322
d) pUC 18
Explanation: Ti plasmid of agrobacterium is used to transfer genes in plants.
9. Which of the following bacterium is used for gene transfer in plants?
Explanation: Agrobacterium is the only bacterium capable of transferring genes to plants.
10. Production of a large number of genetically similar plants through plant tissue culture is called __________
a) Recombinant DNA technology
b) Gene therapy
c) Micro propagation
d) Hybridoma technology
Explanation: Micro propagation is the practice of producing a large number of genetically similar plants through plant tissue culture.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biochemistry.
To practice all areas of Biochemistry for Quizzes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.