This set of Biochemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Biochemistry Advanced Questions and Answers “.
1. Which of the following glycoprotein functions as a lubricant and protective agent?
Explanation: Mucins function as a lubricant and protective agent.
2. Which of the following is a hydroxyl fatty acid?
a) Linoleic acid
b) Palmitic acid
c) Linolenic acid
d) Cerebronic acid
Explanation: Cerebronic acid is a fatty acid with -OH derivative.
3. Which of the following is false about fatty acids?
a) Melting point of fatty acids decreases with increase in the degree of saturation
b) Lipids in tissues that are subjected to cooling are more unsaturated
c) Naturally occurring unsaturated long-chain fatty acids are nearly Trans-configuration
d) The membrane lipids contain mostly unsaturated fatty acids
Explanation: Saturated long chain fatty acids are nearly trans-configuration.
4. The binding of ligands to many GPCRs leads to ____________
a) Decrease in concentration of second messengers
b) Increase in concentration of second messengers
c) Decrease in concentration of first messengers
d) Increase in concentration of first messengers
Explanation: The binding of ligands to many GPCRs leads to decrease in the concentration of second messengers.
5. Which of the following are included in the types of glycolipids?
Explanation: Cerebrosides are a group of glycosphingolipids, which are the subgroup of glycolipids.
6. Which of the following catalyzes the cutting of PIP2 into 2 moles of IP3 and diacylglycerol in cell signaling?
a) Phosphokinase C
b) Phospholipase C
d) Phosphodiesterase C
Explanation: PLC also named phospholipase grabs onto PIP2 and cuts it into diacylglycerol and IP3.
7. Site directed mutagenesis facilitated research on ____________
Explanation: Site directed mutagenesis changes the amino acid sequence by altering DNA sequence of the cloned gene. It facilitates research on proteins.
8. Which product formed in the isomerization of mannose 6-phosphate?
a) Fructose 6-phosphate
b) Glucose 6-phosphate
Explanation: Mannose 6-phosphate is isomerized by phosphomannose isomerase to yield fructose 6-phosphate.
9. Which is the first reaction of the pentose phosphate pathway?
a) Oxidation of glucose 6-phosphate to 6-phosphoglucono-δ-lactone
b) Oxidation of 6-phosphogluconate to ketopentose ribulose 5-phosphate
c) Reduction of 6-phosphoglucono-δ-lactone to glucose 6-phosphate
d) Reduction of ketopentose ribulose 5-phosphate to 6-phosphogluconate
Explanation: The first reaction of the pentose phosphate pathway is the oxidation of glucose 6-phosphate to 6-phosphoglucono-δ-lactone by glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase.
10. Oxidation of 3 molecules of glucose by pentose phosphate pathway results in the production of ____________
a) 3 molecules of pentose, 6 molecules of NADPH and 3 molecules of CO2
b) 4 molecules of pentose, 6 molecules of NADPH and 3 molecules of CO2
c) 4 molecules of pentose, 3 molecules of NADPH and 3 molecules of CO2
d) 3 molecules of pentose, 4 molecules of NADPH and 3 molecules of CO2
Explanation: Glucose 6-phosphate + 2NADP+ + H2O → ribose 5-phosphate + CO2 + 2NADPH + 2H+.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biochemistry.
To practice advanced questions and answers on all areas of Biochemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.