This set of Biochemistry Interview Questions and Answers for Experienced people focuses on “DNA Cloning: The Basics – 2”.
1. Generally YAC contains how many elements?
Explanation: Ori, selectable markers X and Y, 2 telomeres and 1 centromere.
2. Which of the following endonuclease removes a length of DNA between two telomere sequences?
Explanation: BamHI removes a length of DNA between two telomere sequences.
3. In hybridization method, which of the following is pressed onto agar?
a) Silicon paper
b) Nitrocellulose paper
c) Filter paper
Explanation: Nitrocellulose membrane has high binding capacity for proteins.
4. Which of the following temperature best suits for the growth and multiplication of transformed cells?
Explanation: (37-43) °C is the temperature range preferred for the growth and multiplication of transformed cells.
5. Which of the following is a DNA element that instructs RNA polymerase where to bind on DNA?
d) Hormone response element
Explanation: Promoter instructs RNA pol where to bind on DNA.
6. Site directed mutagenesis facilitated research on
Explanation: Site directed mutagenesis changes the amino acid sequence by altering DNA sequence of cloned gene. It facilitates research on proteins.
7. Recombinant DNA molecule is produced by ligating
a) Two DNA segments
b) Two m-RNA molecules
c) One m-RNA with one t-RNA
d) One m-RNA with DNA segment
Explanation: For the construction of recombinant DNA molecule, two DNA segments are ligated.
8. Arrange the following steps involved in Gene cloning in the correct order
i) Isolation of desired gene
ii) Insertion of isolated gene to the vector
iii) Introduction of recombinant vector to the host
iv)Expression of recombinant gene in host
v) Extraction of recombinant gene product
a) i, ii, iii, iv, v
b) v, iv, iii, ii, i
c) i, iii, ii, iv, v
d) iv, v, ii, i, iii
Explanation: i) Isolation of desired gene.
ii) Insertion of isolated gene to the vector.
iii) Introduction of recombinant vector to the host.
iv)Expression of recombinant gene in host.
v) Extraction of recombinant gene product.
9. Where does a restriction endonuclease cuts DNA?
a) Ligation site
b) Recognition sequence
d) Replication site
Explanation: Restriction enzymes cut DNA at specific sites called recognition sites.
10. Which of the following statements is true about a vector?
a) Plasmids, phages can be used as vectors
b) All vectors are plasmids
c) Cyanobacteria can also be used as vectors
d) Fungi can also be used as vectors
Explanation: Plasmids and phages can be used as vectors.
11. Which of the following is true about plasmids?
a) They are present in all organisms
b) They are present in bacteria only
c) They are present in bacteria and phages
d) They are present in plants and animals
Explanation: Plasmids cannot be found in animal cells. They are found only in bacteria and phages.
12. DNA Ligase, used in recombinant DNA technology is obtained from
a) E.coli only
b) E.coli and also Ligase encoded by T4 phage
Explanation: Ligase obtained from Ecoli and T4 DNA ligase is used in recombinant DNA technology.
13. The main aim of human genome project is
a) To identify and sequence of all the genes present in the human body
b) To introduce new genes to human beings
c) To remove disease causing genes from humans
c) To improve techniques of finger printing
Explanation: The main aim of human genome project is to identify and sequence of all the genes present in the human body.
14. The work ‘Hybridization’ in DNA finger printing means
a) Pairing between the nucleotides of DNA sample with probe
b) Pairing between the nucleotides of DNA and mRNA
c) Pairing between the nucleotides of probe with mRNA
d) Pairing between the nucleosides with mRNA
Explanation: Hybridization involves annealing of DNA segment with its probe.
15. Agar is extracted from
Explanation: Agar is obtained from an alga.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biochemistry.
To practice all areas of Biochemistry for Interviews, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.