This set of Biochemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Glycoconjugates: Proteoglycans, Glycoproteins and Glycolipids”.
1. Which of the following are found in connective tissues?
Explanation: Proteoglycans are found in all connective tissues, extracellular matrix and on the surface of many cell surfaces.
2. Which of the following statements is false about proteoglacans?
a) They hold less amount of water
b) Chondroitin sulfate is a proteoglycan
c) They possess charge
d) They are made of amino acids and sugars
Explanation: They hold large amounts of water.
3. In cell membrane, carbohydrates in glycoproteins or glycolipids are oriented?
a) Towards outside
b) Towards inside
c) Towards outside and inside
d) Randomly distributed
Explanation: Orientation of carbohydrates in glycoproteins is towards outside in cell membrane.
4. Which of the following is an oligosaccharide linked to protein?
Explanation: Glycolipid is linked to lipid.
5. The protein core of proteoglycan is rich in
a) Serine and threonine
b) Serine and methionine
c) Threonine and methionine
d) Alanine and serine
6. Which of the following are included in the types of glycolipids?
Explanation: Cerebrosides are a group of glycosphingolipids, which are the subgroup of glycolipids.
7. Which of the following blood group individuals have N-acetylgalactosamine sugar attachment?
Explanation: A blood group individuals have N-acetylgalactosamine sugar attachment.
8. Which of the following blood group individuals have galactose ?
Explanation: B blood group individuals have galactose.
9. Which of the following glycoprotein functions as a lubricant and protective agent?
Explanation: Mucins function as a lubricant and protective agent.
10. Which of the following are important for white blood cell recognition?
Explanation: Especially in mammals glycoproteins are essential for white blood cell recognition.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biochemistry.
To practice all areas of Biochemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.