This set of Biochemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Biosynthesis of Triacylglycerols”.
1. Which of the following is not true regarding synthesis of triacyl glycerol in adipose tissue?
a) Phosphatidate is hydrolyzed
b) Glycerol 3-phosphate dehydrogenase plays an important role
c) Glycerol kinase plays an important role
d) It is synthesized from dihydroxyacetone phosphate
Explanation: The enzyme glycerol kinase has no role to play in the synthesis of triacyl glycerol.
2. Hydrolysis of phosphatidic acid by phosphatidic acid phosphatase yields
a) 1, 2-diacylglycerol
b) 1, 3-diacylglycerol
c) 1, 4-diacylglycerol
d) 1, 5-diacylglycerol
Explanation: In the pathway to triacylglycerols, phosphatidic acid is hydrolyzed by phosphatidic acid phosphatase to form a 1, 2-diacylglycerol.
3. In animal tissues, triacylglycerols and glycerophospholipids share two precursors
a) Fatty acyl co-A and L-glycerol 3-phosphate
b) L-glycerol 3-phosphate and L-glycerol 2-phosphate
c) Diacylglycerol 3-phosphate and L-glycerol 3-phosphate
d) L-glycerol 3-phosphate and diacylglycerol 2-phosphate
Explanation: In animal tissues, triacylglycerols and glycerophospholipids share two precursors fatty acyl co-A and L-glycerol 3-phosphate.
4. Which of the following is more commonly called phosphatidic acid?
a) Diacylglycerol 3-phosphate
b) Fatty acyl co-A
c) L-glycerol 3-phosphate
d) L-glycerol 2-phosphate
Explanation: Diacylglycerol 3-phosphate is more commonly called phosphatidic acid or phosphatidate.
5. Where does triacylglycerol form?
c) Adipose tissue
Explanation: Triacylglycerol formed in the liver is transported in the blood back to adipose tissue.
6. In adipose tissue, glyceroneogenesis couples with
Explanation: In adipose tissue, glyceroneogenesis coupled with reesterification of free fatty acids controls the rate of fatty acid release to the blood.
7. Which of the following class of drugs reduce the levels of fatty acids circulating in the blood?
d) Synthetic cannabinoids
Explanation: Thiazolidinediones reduce the levels of fatty acids circulating in the blood and increase sensitivity to insulin.
8. The higher activity of which of the following enzymes leads to increased synthesis of the precursors of glyceroneogenesis
a) PEP carboxykinase
b) Acyl transferase
c) Acyl co-A synthase
d) Phosphatidic acid phosphatase
Explanation: The higher activity of PEP carboxykinase leads to increased synthesis of the precursors of glyceroneogenesis.
9. Dihydroxyacetone phosphate precursor of glycerol 3-phosphate is derived from
c) Glycerol 3-phosphate
Explanation: Dihydroxyacetone phosphate precursor of glycerol 3-phosphate is derived from pyruvate via glyceroneogenesis.
10. Biological steroid derived from cholesterol is
Explanation: Biological steroid derived from cholesterol is cortisol.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biochemistry.
To practice all areas of Biochemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.