This set of Biochemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “The Role of Mitochondria in Apoptosis and Oxidative Stress”.
1. What is the effect of excessive rate of apoptosis?
Explanation: Excessive apoptosis causes atrophy, whereas its deficient amount leads to uncontrolled cell proliferation.
2. What is the rate of apoptosis in average human adult per day?
a) 10 billion cells
b) 30 billion cells
c) 50-70 billion cells
d) 100 billion cells
Explanation: The rate of apoptosis in average human adult per day is 50-70 billion cells.
3. Oxidative stress (in humans) is not involved in the development of
b) Parkinson’s disease
c) Heart failure
d) Kidney failure
Explanation: In humans oxidative stress is involved in the development of cancer, parkinson’s disease and heart failure.
4. Programmed cell death can be termed as
a) Oxidative stress
c) Cell division
d) Cell cycle
Explanation: Programmed cell death can be termed as apoptosis.
5. Which one of the following is true about C4 plants?
a) They minimize rubisco oxygenase activity by fixing CO2 into oxaloacetate
b) They mainly occur in areas of high temperature and light intensity
c) They minimize the rubisco oxygenase activity by fixing CO2 into phosphoenolpyruvic acid
d) C3 plants are more efficient in photosynthesis than C4 plants
Explanation: C4 plants are more efficient in photosynthesis than C3 plants.
6. Which one of the following is true about C3 plants?
a) First stable product is phosphoglyceric acid
b) Photosynthetically more efficient
c) More efficient in CO2 fixation than C4 plants
Explanation: The first stable product from C3 plants is phosphoglyceric acid.
7. The first stable product of dark reaction in C4 plants is
a) Phosphoglyceric acid
b) Oxaloacetic acid
c) Glycolic acid
d) Malic acid
Explanation: The first stable product of dark reaction in C4 plants is phosphoglyceric acid.
8. Which of the following is the distinguishable feature of cyclic photophosphorylation?
a) Phosphorylation only takes place
b) Phosphorylation and photolysis take place
c) Photolysis of water is taking place
Explanation: Only phosphorylation takes place in cyclic phosphorylation.
9. The light reaction of photosynthesis takes place in
a) Inner membrane of chloroplast
b) Outer membrane of chloroplast
Explanation: Inner membrane of chloroplast is the area where light reaction of photosynthesis takes place.
10. Which of the following group of plants contains agranal chloroplast?
a) C3 plants
b) C4 plants
c) C2 plants
d) C1 plants
Explanation: C4 plants contains agranal chloroplast.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biochemistry.
To practice all areas of Biochemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.