This set of Biochemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Regulation of Oxidative Phosphorylation”.
1. The regulation of oxidative phosphorylation depends on
a) Magnitude of ion motive force
b) Magnitude of electron motive force
c) Magnitude of proton motive force
Explanation: The regulation of oxidative phosphorylation depends on magnitude of proton motive force.
2. The rate of electron transfer when proton motive force is high is
Explanation: When proton motive force is high, rate of electron transfer is slower.
3. The magnitude of proton motive force depends on
a) Energy charge of cell
b) Permeability of membrane
c) Number of ribosomes in cell
Explanation: The magnitude of proton motive force depends on energy charge of cell.
4. Where does oxidative phosphorylation take place?
d) Cell membrane
Explanation: Oxidative phosphorylation takes place in mitochondria.
5. In metabolism, NAD is involved in
a) Spontaneous reaction
b) Elimination reaction
c) Redox reactions
Explanation: NAD is involved in redox reactions.
6. NADP is a cofactor used in
a) Catabolic reactions
b) Anabolic reactions
c) Elimination reaction
d) Redox reactions
Explanation: NADP is a cofactor used in anabolic reactions.
7. What is the proportion of ATP produced by oxidative phosphorylation?
Explanation: About 60% of ATP produced by oxidative phosphorylation.
8. NADP+ in its reduced form is
Explanation: NADPH is the reduced form of NADP+.
9. Products of glucose oxidation essential for oxidative phosphorylation are
b) Acetyl co-A
c) NADPH and ATP
d) NADH and FADH2
Explanation: The end products of Krebs cycle are CO2, NADH, FADH2, ATP and water.
The reactants of oxidative phosphorylation are NADH, FADH2, O2, ADP and P.
10. The effect of increased levels of hydrogen ions in the inter-membrane space of the mitochondria is
a) Increase ATP production
b) Decreased levels of oxidative phosphorylation
c) Increased levels of water in inter-membrane space
d) Decreased levels of chemiosmosis
Explanation: There is an increased ATP production, if the levels of hydrogen ions increase in the inter-membrane space of the mitochondria.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biochemistry.
To practice all areas of Biochemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.