This set of Biochemistry test focuses on “From Genes to Genomes – 2”.
1. A set of overlapping DNA segments that together represent a consensus region of DNA is ____________
a) Expressed sequence tag
b) Sequence tagged site
Explanation: Sequence tagged site is a short DNA sequence having single occurrence in genome.
Expressed sequence tag is a short sub-sequence of a cDNA sequence.
YAC is a linear DNA molecule.
2. Which of the following statements is false?
a) BAC is a circular DNA molecule
b) YAC is a linear DNA molecule
c) Taql is a DNA polymerase
d) BAC is a linear DNA molecule
Explanation: BAC is a circular DNA molecule.
3. Which of the following is not denatured by heating steps during PCR?
a) DNA pol
b) RNA pol
c) Restriction enzymes
d) DNA ligase
Explanation: DNA polymerase, Taq is thermo stable, so it is not denatured by heating steps during PCR.
4. Which of the following statements regarding DNA fingerprinting is false?
a) DNA fingerprinting cannot be used for paternity testing
b) DNA profile using STR (short terminal repeats) is unique to an individual
c) PCR is used for DNA profiling
d) Forensic analysis makes use of SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms) in coding sequences to distinguish between individuals
Explanation: DNA fingerprinting is used for paternity testing.
5. How are expression vectors useful?
a) To produce protein products
b) Used for genomic libraries
c) Used for chromosome synthesis
d) Used for finger printing
Explanation: Expression vectors are helpful for the expression of genes.
6. Who was the first person to develop DNA finger printing?
a) David Suzuki
c) Alec Jaffreys
Explanation: Alec Jaffreys was the first person to develop DNA finger printing.
7. Southern blotting technique is used in ____________
a) Monoclonal antibody production
b) In vitro culture
c) Genetic finger printing
d) Polymerase chain reaction
Explanation: Applications of southern blotting:
In RFLP, forensics, diagnosis of HIV, etc.
8. Electrophoresis helps to separate ____________
a) DNA segments
b) Cells from DNA
d) RNA from DNA
Explanation: In electrophoresis, DNA fragments are separated according to their size.
9. During DNA profiling, DNA nucleotides hybridized with the probe can be detected through ____________
b) Polymerase chain reaction
Explanation: Autoradiography is a detection method in hybridization.
10. Which of the following term is associated with DNA finger printing?
b) Site specific mutagenesis
c) Shotgun cloning
Explanation: RFLP technique is preferred in forensic laboratories to identify the suspects.
11. Recombinant DNA construction involves ____________
a) Cleaving DNA with a restriction endonuclease and joining with ligase
b) Cleaving DNA with ligase and joining with endonuclease
c) Cleaving and joining DNA with restriction endonuclease
d) Cleaving DNA with a restriction endonuclease and joining with polymerase
Explanation: Restriction enzymes cleave plasmid vector and then DNA ligase joins foreign DNA with cloning vector.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biochemistry.
To practice all areas of Biochemistry for tests, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.