This set of Biochemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Storage Lipids”.
1. Which of the following is an essential fatty acid?
Explanation: Linoleic and alpha linolenic acids are the two essential fatty acids.
2. Which of the following is a polar derivative of cholesterol?
a) Bile salt
c) Vitamin D
Explanation: Bile salt is a polar derivative of cholesterol.
3. Which of the following fatty acid has the least melting point?
a) Palmitic acid
b) Stearic acid
c) Arachidonic acid
d) Timnodonic acid
Explanation: Timnodonic acid has the least melting point.
4. Out of the following which is not a source of glycerol?
Explanation: Adipolysis, glycolysis and diet are the source of glycerol.
5. Which of the following is false about fatty acids?
a) Melting point of fatty acids decreases with increase in degree of saturation
b) Lipids in tissues that are subjected to cooling are more unsaturated
c) Naturally occurring unsaturated long-chain fatty acids are nearly Trans-configuration
d) The membrane lipids contain mostly unsaturated fatty acids
Explanation: Saturated long chain fatty acids are nearly trans-configuration.
6. Which of the following fatty acid has 16 carbon atoms?
a) Linolenic acid
b) Oleic acid
c) Palmitic acid
d) Stearic acid
Explanation: Linolenic, oleic and stearic acids have 18 carbons.
7. Which of the following is a hydroxyl fatty acid?
a) Linoleic acid
b) Palmitic acid
c) Linolenic acid
d) Cerebronic acid
Explanation: Cerebronic acid is a fatty acid with -OH derivative.
8. Out of the following, which is not an essential amino acid?
a) Linolic acid
b) Linolenic acid
c) Arachidic acid
d) Arachidonic acid
Explanation: Arachidic acid is a non-essential amino acid.
9. The number of milligrams of KOH required to neutralize the free and combined fatty acid in one gram of a given fat is called __________
a) Saponification number
b) Iodine number
c) Acid number
d) Polenske number
Explanation: The number of milligrams of KOH required to neutralize the free and combined fatty acid in one gram of a given fat is called the saponification number.
10. Which of the following is a storage form of lipid?
d) Triacyl glycerol
Explanation: Triacyl glycerol is the storage form of lipids.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biochemistry.
To practice all areas of Biochemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.