This set of Geotechnical Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Soils – Indian Standard Classification”.
1. The Indian standard soil classification system, (ISCS) was first developed in ___________
Explanation: The Indian standard classification system (ISCS) was first developed in 1959 and revised in 1970.
2. According to ISCS, fine grained soils are subdivided in to ___________
Explanation: Fine grained soil are subdivided into 3 types
i. Inorganic silts and very fine sands
ii. Inorganic clays
iii. Organic silts and clay and organic matter.
3. The ISCS classifies the soil in to __________
a) 12 groups
b) 15 groups
c) 18 groups
d) 16 groups
Explanation: The ISCS classifies the soil into 18 groups as against 15 groups of USCS.
4. Laboratory classification of fined grained soil is done with the help of ________
a) Plasticity chart
b) Textural classification chart
c) Kozney’s graphical method
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: Laboratory classification criteria of fine grained soil is done by plasticity chart.
5. The A-line, in unified classification system table has the equation of __________
Explanation: The A-line, dividing the inorganic clay from silt and organic soil has the equation: IP=0.73(WL-20).
6. According to IS classification, the symbol GC means ____________
a) Clayey gravel
b) Silt gravel
c) Sand gravel
d) Well graded gravel
Explanation: As per Indian standards of group symbols and typical names, G-refers to gravel and C-refers to clay.
7. The symbol ‘L’ represents which of the following soil types?
a) Silt and Clay
c) All of the mentioned
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: By IS classification, silts and clays of low compressibility having a liquid less than 35, are represented by the ‘L’.
8. What are the features required, for classifying a soil component as boulder?
a) Bulky hard
b) Diameter more than 30cm
c) Round to angular shape
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: For a soil component to be a boulder, size range must be of average diameter more than 30cm and shape of round to angular and bulky hard.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Geotechnical Engineering.
To practice all areas of Geotechnical Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Geotechnical Engineering
- Participate in Geotechnical Engineering Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Geotechnical Engineering
- Take Geotechnical Engineering Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Geotechnical Engineering I Books
- Buy Civil Engineering Books
- Apply for Civil Engineering Internship
- Apply for Geotechnical Engineering I Internship
- Practice Civil Engineering MCQs