This set of Life Sciences Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Plant Water Relationship”.
1. Cohesion of water molecules is due to___________
c) Gravitational force
d) Surface tension
Explanation: Cohesion is the property of water molecules which shows its hydrogen bonding. Surface tension is the phenomenon of holding together of water molecules.
2. Which of the following is NOT the property of water?
a) Nonpolar molecule
b) Excellent solvent
c) High heat of vaporization
d) High specific heat
Explanation: Water is a polar molecule which is electrically neutral. It has a partial positive charge on each hydrogen and partial negative charge on each oxygen.
3. Name the term which is given for the movement of water through a semipermeable membrane?
Explanation: Osmosis is a specialized form of diffusion, which involves a passive movement of water from higher to lower concentration of water with the help of a semipermeable membrane.
4. What is the measure of the osmotic pressure gradient of solutions separated by a semipermeable membrane?
a) Water potential
b) Ficks law
c) Turgor pressure
Explanation: Osmotic pressure gradient of two solutions is measured by tonicity. There are three different types of tonicity which a solution can have with respect to other solution: isotonic, hypotonic, and hypertonic.
5. The pressure which exerts outward from the cell wall is known as turgor pressure?
Explanation: Turgor pressure is the pressure exerted by the cell wall outwardly by expanding the protoplast.
6. Name the condition in which protoplast of the plant cell shrinks away.
Explanation: Plamolysis is the condition of the cell which causes the shrinkage of protoplast, when the cell is placed in the hypertonic solution i.e., water moves out of the cell.
7. Which of the following type of solution has lower levels of solutes than the solution?
Explanation: Hypotonic is the condition of the cell where the solute level is higher as compared to the solution. Due to the hypotonic condition water moves inside the cell from the surrounding.
8. Which of the following is NOT the component of water potential?
a) Osmotic potential
b) Pressure potential
c) Gravitational potential
d) Assimilation potential
Explanation: Water potential is the combination or sum of four component potential, i.e., gravitational potential, pressure potential, osmotic potential, and matric potential.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Life Sciences.
To practice all areas of Life Sciences, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Life Sciences
- Participate in Life Sciences Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Life Sciences
- Take Life Sciences Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Apply for Life Sciences Internship
- Buy Life Sciences Books
- Apply for Biotechnology Internship
- Practice Biotechnology MCQs
- Buy Biotechnology Books