This set of Life Sciences Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Biomes”.
1. Pyramid of numbers for grassland ecosystem is____________
Explanation: For a grassland ecosystem, the pyramid of number is upright as the number of organisms decreases at it moves to a higher trophic level.
2. Pyramid of number defines the individuals of each species belonging to trophic level in an ecosystem.
Explanation: Each trophic level consists of different species, pyramid of number describes the individuals of different species present at each trophic level.
3. Which of the following statement is CORRECT about the pyramid of energy?
a) It is always upright
b) It is always inverted
c) It doesn’t exist
d) It varies with the trophic level
Explanation: Pyramid of energy doesn’t vary with the tophic level, but it always remains upright. It actually reflects the law of thermodynamics, which indicates that loss of energy at each trophic level will transfer to the next trophic level.
4. Which of the following has a higher assimilation efficiency?
Explanation: Carnivores have a high assimilation efficiency, but their production efficiency is lower than the herbivore.
5. Which of the following ecosystem consists of forest, grassland and deserts?
a) Artificial ecosystem
b) Aquatic ecosystem
c) Natural ecosystem
d) Terrestrial ecosystem
Explanation: Ecosystems are of many types, out of which four most common ecosystems are: natural, terrestrial, aquatic, and artificial. Forest, grassland, and desert are examples of terrestrial ecosystem.
6. Mark the one, which comes under a lotic ecosystem?
Explanation: Aquatic ecosystem has been broadly divided into fresh and marine water ecosystem. In fresh water lotic means running water, i.e., river while lentic ecosystem consists of lake and pond.
7. Which of the following is inter-tidal zone between land and open sea?
a) Benthic zone
b) Pelagic zone
c) Neritic zone
Explanation: Ocean has been divided into many regions depending on the penetration of light. Littoral zone present at the shoreline between land and sea and also known as inter-tidal zone.
8. Which of the following zone lies at the bottom of the sea?
c) Neritic zone
d) Pelagic zone
Explanation: On the basis of light penetration, the ocean has been divided into a photic and aphotic zone. Benthic and abyssal zone lies at the bottom of the ocean in the aphotic region.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Life Sciences.
To practice all areas of Life Sciences, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.