This set of Life Sciences Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Bacterial Nutrition”.
1. Name the type of bacteria which uses Co2 as a sole source of carbon for growth.
Explanation: Bacterial nutrition divides bacteria into different classes, on the basis of carbon sources these are divided into two classes i.e. autotrophs and heterotrophs. Autotrophs use carbon dioxide as a sole source of carbon while heterotrophs utilize organic carbon.
2. Name those bacteria which obtain energy from chemical compounds?
Explanation: Living organisms need a source of energy for survival, bacteria has been divided into two categories on the basis of the source of energy i.e. phototrophs which need light as their energy source and chemotrophs obtain energy from the oxidation of chemical compounds.
3. Name the type of bacteria which uses reduced inorganic substances as an electron source?
Explanation: Bacteria which uses reduced inorganic substances as their electron sources are called lithotrophs while organotrophs are the bacterial class which utilizes organic compounds as their electron source.
4. Which of the following bacteria does not belong to photolithoautotrophy nutritional class?
a) Thiomargarita namibiensis
b) Purple sulfur bacteria
c) Blue-green bacteria
d) Green sulfur bacteria
Explanation: Photolithoautotrophy is the class of the bacteria which utilize CO2 as a carbon source, light energy as the energy source, and inorganic hydrogen as the electron source.
5. Purple and green non-sulfur bacteria belongs to which of the following classes?
Explanation: Purple and green non-sulfur bacteria use light energy as an energy source, organic carbon source, and organic hydrogen as the source of an electron.
6. Nitrifying bacteria belongs to the nutritional class of_______
Explanation: Nitrifying bacteria include species of Nitrosomonas, Nitrococcus, Nitrobactor, and Nitrococcus. These are chemolithoautotrophic organisms which get energy by oxidation of inorganic nitrogen compounds.
7. Which of the following species falls under the category of hydrogen-producing bacteria?
a) Thiobacillus thiooxidans
b) Nitrosomonas europaea
c) Nitrobacter winogradskyi
d) Alkaligenes eutrophus
Explanation: Alkaligenes eutrophus are gram-negative, aerobic, and rod-shaped bacteria and is classified as hydrogen-producing bacteria.
8. The exact composition of complex media should be known.
Explanation: A complex media is undefined in which the exact chemical composition of the medium is not known while the synthetic medium is the culture medium whose exact chemical composition should be known.
9. Which of these is NOT a selective media?
a) Blood agar
b) Eosin methylene blue agar
c) MacConkey agar
d) Mannitol salt agar
Explanation: Selective media are those which prevent the growth of other types of bacteria and promote the growth of only desired species.
10. Name the protein which plays an important role in cell division?
Explanation: FtsZ is homologous to tubulin, which is a building block of the microtubule in eukaryotes. The concentration of FtsZ in the cell will define the frequency of cell division.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Life Sciences.
To practice all areas of Life Sciences, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.