This set of Life Sciences Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “The Ecosystem Concept”.
1. Genetically different population with the same physical features is known as ____________
Explanation: Ecotype is a population which has different genetic features, but adapted to specific environmental condition and have similar physical features.
2. Niche is a place where particular organisms live.
Explanation: Niche is not a place, but an idea. It is a summary of an organism’s requirement and tolerance. Habitat is a place where a particular organism lives.
3. Name the group of species which exploit the abiotic and biotic resources in a similar way?
Explanation: Guild species are need not be taxonomically related, these are the species which exploit the resources in a similar way.
4. Who proposed the term ecosystem?
c) A.G. Tansley
Explanation: A.G. Tansley has given the term ecosystem in 1935. Ecosystem comprises of all the biotic and abiotic components and their interactions.
5. Name the organisms that manufacture organic compounds from simple inorganic compounds without using sunlight?
Explanation: Chemotrophs is a kind of autotroph which manufacture organic compounds from simple inorganic compounds without the use of photosynthesis white phototrophs are those autotrophs which make their food by photosynthesis.
6. Which of the following organism eats feces?
d) Dung beetle
Explanation: Dung beetle belongs to the category of detritivores, who eat dead and decaying organic matter.
7. Which of the following type of productivity counts the total fixation of energy by photosynthesis?
a) Secondary productivity
b) Primary productivity
Explanation: GPP is gross primary productivity, which is a measure of total fixation of energy by means of photosynthesis.
8. Hekistotherm vegetation is found in which of the following region?
a) High temperature
b) Very low temperature
c) High temperature with an alternating low temperature
d) Low temperature
Explanation: Hekistotherm is found in very low temperature mainly alpine vegetation is dominant in this region. Microtherm is the low temperature where coniferous vegetation is found in dominance.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Life Sciences.
To practice all areas of Life Sciences, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.