This set of Life Sciences Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Recombination”.
1. Rearrangement of DNA that involves the breakage and reunion of DNA is called___________
Explanation: Recombination is the process of rearrangement of DNA of breakage and reunion and it can change the genomic configuration.
2. Recombination is responsible for crossing-over during meiosis of eukaryotic cells.
Explanation: Recombination was first recognized as the process which is responsible for crossing over in the meiosis. It is a large scale rearrangement of DNA molecules.
3. Which of the following is NOT true about homologous recombination?
a) Exchange of homologous segments
b) Exchange takes place between two homologous DNA molecules
c) It is also termed as general recombination
d) It involves a direct exchange of sequences of DNA
Explanation: Homologous recombination involves a reciprocal exchange of sequences of DNA.
4. Which of the following is site specific recombination?
c) Holiday junction
Explanation: Transposition is the process of recombination, which allows one DNA sequence to inserted in another without taking care of sequence homology.
5. Who proposed holiday model for homologous recombination?
a) Gobind Khurana
b) Louis Pasteur
c) Robin Holiday
d) Niels Bohr
Explanation: Robin Holiday in 1964, proposed an appealing scheme for recombination called holiday model or hetroduplex model.
6. Which of the following is NOT a recombination system?
Explanation: Homologous recombination was first described in bacterial systems. The three different recombination systems are RecF, RecE, and RecBCD.
7. Name the phenomenon of allele replacement during recombination and DNA repair?
d) Gene conversion
Explanation: Gene conversion is the phenomenon of changing allele forms during recombination and DNA repair.
8. Name the protein, which is involved in homologous recombination in E.coli?
d) RecBCD enzyme
Explanation: The three different recombination systems are RecF, RecE, and RecBCD. RecBCD is known as Exonuclease V and it has both helicase and nuclease activity.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Life Sciences.
To practice all areas of Life Sciences, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.