This set of Advanced Life Sciences Questions and Answers focuses on “Succession”.
1. On an ecological time scale, the process of directional change in community composition is known as ____________
a) Keystone species
Explanation: Succession is the universal process of change in community composition over an ecological time scale. It is a unidirectional change.
2. Climax community is the end point of the succession
Explanation: When the succession reaches to the point of relative stability, it is considered as the climax community. It marks the end point of the succession.
3. Which of the following selection pressure is obtained in late succession stage?
a) K- selection
b) R- selection
d) L- selection
Explanation: Selection pressure has been categorized by the process of growth pattern, i.e., r-selection and k-selection. R-selection applies in early stage while k-selection in late stage.
4. What is the entropy of the early succession community?
d) Very high
Explanation: Entropy measures the degree of randomness. Early stage has high entropy while late stage has low entropy.
5. Name the succession in which development of the biotic community starts after the destruction of an existing community?
c) Primary succession
d) Secondary succession
Explanation: Succession happens in a bare area where no community existed before is known as a primary, community and the succession which is followed by the destruction of primary community is called secondary succession.
6. Which of the following succession processes describes the development of bare area without any form of life?
Explanation: Nudation is the first stage of succession where there is a development of the bare area by several external factors takes place.
7. Which of the following factor is NOT responsible for autotrophic succession?
b) Soil erosion
Explanation: The bare area in autotrophic succession develops by several factors like climatic, biotic, and topographic.
8. Name the scientist who had described the term climax.
Explanation: Clement had given the term climax to describe the idealized endpoint of succession. The climax is the final community which cannot be replaced further.
9. Name the type of community which is maintained by the man or his domestic animals.
Explanation: Disclimax community is the stable community which is maintained by a man and his domestic animals. It is also known as disturbance climax.
10. Who developed the polyclimax theory?
b) R.H Whittaker
Explanation: Tansley developed the polyclimax theory which shows the mosaic vegetational climax controlled by soil moisture, nutrient and topography.
11. Which of the following term is given to the process of successful establishment of the species?
Explanation: Ecesis is considered as the complete as it describes the adjustment of the species and its successful establishment in any new area.
12. What is the effect on biodiversity when we move from pole to equator?
d) Remains same
Explanation: Biodiversity varies with changes in altitude or latitude. It increases when we move from poles to equator. There is a decrease in biodiversity as we move from lower to the higher altitude, i.e., mountain.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Life Sciences.
To practice advanced questions and answers on all areas of Life Sciences, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.