This set of Life Sciences Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Transgenic Plants”.
1. The process of expression of foreign genes in a plant is called___________
a) Gene expression
c) Genetic transformation
d) Cell hybridization
Explanation: Genetic transformation is the process of introducing, stably integration and expression of foreign genes in the plant. This whole process produces transgenic plants.
2. In transgenesis, only cloned genes are introduced into the donor.
Explanation: Unlike conventional breeding, only those genes are introduced in the plant which has agronomic importance, i.e., cloned genes without the cotransfer of the other undesirable gene.
3. Name the strategy where two-plasmid system is used for the introduction of the gene?
a) Binary vector system
b) Co-integration vector strategy
d) Selectable marker strategy
Explanation: In Binary vector system, two plasmids are used to introduce t-DNA into the plants. Both plasmids complement each other when present together in a system.
4. Which of the following is considered as a visual marker?
a) Antibiotic marker
b) Resistance marker
c) Selectable marker
d) Screenable marker
Explanation: Screenable marker gene is used for determining transformation efficiency, confirming transformation, and monitoring gene or protein activity.
5. Name the marker gene of streptomycin?
Explanation: Selectable marker gene is used to confer resistance to antibiotics i.e., SPT is used for streptomycin, HPT is for hygromycin, and BXN is for bromoxynil.
6. Name the first transgenic virus resistant plant?
Explanation: In 1986, tobacco was produced using virus resistance gene, i.e., tobacco mosaic virus (TMV) coat protein, which generates resistance against virus attack.
7. Which of the following is supplemented with vitamin A in order to improve its nutritional quality?
Explanation: The nutritional quality of rice has been improved by the addition of vitamin A (beta-carotene). This genetically engineered rice is called golden rice.
8. Name the enzyme which has silenced to delay the ripening process?
Explanation: Polygalacturonase is an enzyme which is responsible for ripening. By antisense technology, the gene which encodes for this enzyme has been silenced.
9. Name the technique which is used to enhance the life of a tomato.
a) Antisense technology
b) In vitro gene transfer
c) Ex vivo gene transfer
d) Molecular farming
Explanation: In antisense technology, an antisense copy of the gene is expressed in the tomato which silenced polygalacturonase enzyme.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Life Sciences.
To practice all areas of Life Sciences, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Life Sciences
- Participate in Life Sciences Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Life Sciences
- Take Life Sciences Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Practice Biotechnology MCQs
- Buy Life Sciences Books
- Apply for Life Sciences Internship
- Apply for Biotechnology Internship
- Buy Biotechnology Books