This set of Life Sciences Assessment Questions and Answers focuses on “Protists”.
1. Who proposed five kingdom systems?
a) Ernst Mayr
b) R.H. Whittaker
c) Robert Hook
Explanation: Robert H. Whittaker in 1969 proposed a five kingdom classification, i.e. Monera, Protista, Fungi, Plantae, and Animalia. Prokaryotes placed in separate kingdom Monera.
2. Which of these eukaryotes is a single-celled organism?
Explanation: Protists are mainly unicellular eukaryotic organism (some are multicellular), possess single cell. Due to the great diversity of this kingdom, protists are difficult to characterize.
3. Which of the following is considered as fungus-like protists?
d) Slime molds
Explanation: Protists have been divided into three categories, i.e. plant-like, animal-like, and fungi-like. Plant-like protists are protozoa, animal-like are known as protozoa, and fungi-like protists are water molds and slime molds.
4. Name the causative agent of Leishmaniasis.
a) Leishmania donovani
b) Trypnosoma brucei
c) Trichomonas vaginalis
d) Entamoeba histolytica
Explanation: Leishmaniasis is also known as kala azar and is caused by Leishmania donovani (Mastigophora). Trypnosoma brucei causes African sleeping sickness which is transmitted by Tsetse fly. Trichomonas vaginalis causes Trichomoniasis and amoebiasis is caused by Entamoeba histolytica.
5. Which of the following disease is caused by Trypanosoma palladium?
Explanation: Trypanosoma palladium causes syphilis, it is a spirochete bacterium. Malaria is caused by Plasmodium and is carried by mosquitoes. Balantidiasis is caused by Ciliophora and Giardiasis is caused by Giardia lambila.
6. Which of these photosynthetic protists have whirling whips?
a) Slime molds
Explanation: Dinoflagellates are unicellular and flagellated organisms which are mainly found in the marine ecosystem. Flagella show spinning type locomotion so, they are known as whirling whips.
7. Frustle is the name of cell wall present in______
a) Slime molds
Explanation: Diatoms are unicellular algae, which have glass-like wall made up of silicon dioxide embedded in the matrix. Their cell wall is a unique type and is known as frustle which is divided into epitheca and hypotheca.
8. Mode of nutrition of euglenoid is mixotrophic.
Explanation: Mixotrophic is the mode of nutrition in which an organism uses both autotrophic and heterotrophic mode of nutrition. When sunlight is available, they show autotrophic but in absence, they become heterotrophic by absorbing nutrient from their environment.
9. Which of the following class has been shifted from kingdom fungi to protists?
b) Slime molds
Explanation: Oomycetes means egg fungus, it includes water molds, downey mildew, and the white rust. Unlike fungi, they do not have a cell wall made up of chitin so, the oomycetes has been shifted from kingdom fungi to the kingdom protists.
10. Name the causative agent of late blight of potato.
b) Dictyostelium discoideum
c) Phytophthora infestans
Explanation: Phytophthora infestans is the species of Oomycetes which causes late blight of potato. They are typically decomposers or parasites.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Life Sciences.
To practice all areas of Life Sciences Assessment Questions, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Life Sciences
- Participate in Life Sciences Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Life Sciences
- Take Life Sciences Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Apply for Biotechnology Internship
- Apply for Life Sciences Internship
- Buy Life Sciences Books
- Buy Biotechnology Books
- Practice Biotechnology MCQs