This set of Life Sciences Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Plant movement”.
1. The movement in a plant caused as a result of differential growth is called___________
a) Tactic movement
b) Tropic movement
c) Turgor movement
d) Growth movement
Explanation: Plant movement is of two types: growth movement and turgor movement. Growth movement occurs by differential growth of plants while turgor movement is caused by changes in turgidity of the cells.
2. The roots of the plant are negatively phototropic.
Explanation: Phototropic is the response of the plant towards a light. The shoots of the plant are positively phototropic while roots are negatively phototropic.
3. Name the term which is given to the plants that grow at right angles to the direction of gravity.
b) Positive gravitropism
c) Negaitve gravitropism
Explanation: Diagravitropic plants are those in which organs of the plant grows at right angle of the gravity while organs that grows at some intermediate angle are called plagiogravitropic.
4. Which of the following controls the distribution of auxin in the roots?
Explanation: PIN protein is essential to control the distribution of auxin in the root. PIN1 regulate transport from shoot to root.
5. Which of the following is NOT a Nastic movement?
Explanation: Nastic movement is plant movement which occurs due to environmental stimuli, but the direction of response is not dependent on the direction of stimulus.
6. Name the term which defines the plant movement by touch?
Explanation: Thigmonasty is the movement of plant organ induced by touch. Seismonasty defines the induction of movement by shaking.
7. Name the movement of the plant in response to a magnetic field?
Explanation: Tactic movement is dependent on the external stimulus. On the basis of different stimulus it is of many types, i.e., phototaxis, magnetotaxis, geotaxis etc.
8. Which of the following term defines the mechanical removal of the seed coat?
Explanation: Scarification is the process of removal of the seed coat, which led to the accelerated germination of seeds.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Life Sciences.
To practice all areas of Life Sciences, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.