This set of Life Sciences Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Mutation”.
1. Damage and errors in DNA cause___________
b) DNA repair
Explanation: All the types of errors during DNA replication and damages caused by exposure to radiation or carcinogens leads to mutation.
2. All types of mutations are transferable among generations.
Explanation: Somatic mutation is not transmitted to sexual progeny while germinal mutation transmitted to sexual progeny.
3. Mark the INCORRECT statement about mutation?
a) Mutation is predestined
b) Major source of evaluation
c) Usually deleterious and recessive
d) It is a reversible process
Explanation: Mutations are the ultimate source of all genetic variations and without which all the genes could exist in only one form.
4. Which of the following is NOT a type of reverse mutation?
a) Back mutation
b) Intergenic suppressor mutation
c) Intragenic suppressor mutation
d) Missense mutation
Explanation: Reverse mutation occurs at the same or different sites of forward mutation and restores wild phenotype.
5. Which of the following is NOT true for loss of function mutation?
a) Usually recessive
b) Most common mutation
c) Increases the activity of the gene
d) Null allelic mutation
Explanation: Loss of function mutation either reduce or abolishes the activity of a gene. On the contrary mutation that increases the activity of the gene is called a gain of function mutation.
6. Name the term given to the type of mutation which depends on the conditions of the environment?
a) Forward mutation
b) Reverse mutation
c) Conditional lethal mutation
d) Gain of function mutation
Explanation: In conditional lethal mutation, lethality depends on the conditions of the environment. Examples of conditional lethal mutations are auxotrophs, temperature sensitive mutants, and suppressor mutation.
7. What is the detection technique of auxotrophs?
a) Spread plating
b) Replica plating
Explanation: Auxotrophs is a conditional lethal mutation in which mutants need essential metabolites for proper growth.
8. Name the type of mutation in which the cause of mutation is not known?
a) Spontaneous mutation
b) Suppressor mutation
c) Nonsense mutation
d) Mis-sense mutation
Explanation: Spontaneous mutation is those for which the cause of mutation is not known. These types of mutations arise due to a tautomeric shift in nitrogenous bases of DNA.
9. Addition or deletion of bases causes which kind of mutation?
b) Frameshift mutation
Explanation: Frameshift mutation is a point mutation involves the addition or deletion of bases while substitution of bases causes transition or transversion.
10. Which of the following chemical mutagen affects only replicating DNA?
a) Acridine dye
b) Alkylating agent
c) Deaminating agent
d) Base analog
Explanation: Base analog is mutagenic only for replicating DNA while acridine dye, alkylating, and deaminating agents are mutagenic to both replicating and non-replicating DNA.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Life Sciences.
To practice all areas of Life Sciences, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.