This set of Life Sciences Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Plant Tissue Culture”.
1. The growth of plant tissues in artificial media is called___________
a) Gene expression
c) Plant tissue culture
d) Cell hybridization
Explanation: Plant tissue culture is a technique of growing root, shoot, tissues, and organs artificially in an ascetical medium which contain all the essential nutrients for the growth.
2. A plant cell is a prokaryotic cell.
Explanation: A plant cell is a eukaryotic cell which has similar features as that of a typical eukaryotic cell but there are certain features which are unique to the plant cell.
3. Which of the following is NOT the feature of plant cells?
a) Presence of centrioles
b) The cell wall outside the cell membrane
c) Cell-cell communication through plasmodesmata
d) Consists of plastids
Explanation: MTOC is a microtubule organizing center, which is made up of centrioles and present in the animal cell but it is not present in plant cell.
4. Name the term given to the ability of single cells to divide and produce all the differentiated cell in the organism?
Explanation: Cell potency is their capability to differentiate into other cell types. Totipotency is the ability of the single cell in an organism to divide and produce all other cells by differentiation.
5. Out of the following, which one is NOT the basic component of culture media used for plant cultivation?
a) Complex mixture of salts
b) Amino acids
c) Serum albumin
d) Sugar/ sucrose
Explanation: Four basic components used in culture media for plant tissue cultivation are: Essential elements and mineral ions, amino acids, sugar, and a gelling agent.
6. Mark the INCORRECT statement about agar, a gelling agent in plant tissue culture medium?
a) Not digested by plant enzymes
b) It does not use in microprapogation work
c) It does not react with media constituents
d) Remain stable at incubation temperature
Explanation: Agar is obtained from seaweeds, and it is a most preferred gelling agent due to its advantageous properties. It is also used in some micropropagation work.
7. Which of the following is NOT a plant growth regulator?
c) Abcisic acid
Explanation: Plant growth regulators are the compound which at very low concentration can modify plant growth and its morphogenesis. Polyphenols are not considered as plant growth regulators but they are produced due to the plant defense mechanism.
8. Which of the following is the main effect of cytokines in the tissue culture system?
a) Adventitious shoot formation
b) Induction of somatic embryos
c) Adventitious root formation
d) Shoot elongation
Explanation: Cytokines promote shoot formation while it inhibits the formation of roots. It also promotes cell division and callus formation.
9. Which one of them is NOT the main effect of polyamines in the tissue culture system?
a) Promotion of tuber and bulb formation
b) Adventitious root formation
c) Promotion of shoot formation
d) Somatic embryogenesis
Explanation: Polyamines does not promote tuber and bulb formation, but it supports root and shoot formation and also somatic embryogenesis. The promotion of bulb and tumor formation is done by jasmonic acid.
10. Which of the following plant hormone control fruit ripening?
d) Abscisis acid
Explanation: The main effect of ethylene in plant tissue culture system is to control the ripening of fruits and senescence of leaves.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Life Sciences.
To practice all areas of Life Sciences, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.