This set of Life Sciences online quiz focuses on “Introduction of DNA to Host Cell”.
1. The process by which bacterial cell uptake DNA is called___________
a) Gene expression
Explanation: Transformation is the process of transfer DNA from a donor cell to a host cell. It is common in both bacterial cell and plant cells.
2. Electroporation method uses an electric pulse to facilitate uptake of DNA.
Explanation: Electroporation is the method which uses a short pulse of electric charge and allows the uptake of DNA from donor to host cell.
3. Which of the following chemical is used in chemical transformation method?
Explanation: In order to increase the competency of a bacterial cell, chemical transformation method is used. Use of calcium chloride (CaCl2) can precipitate the surface of the cell membrane and make it more competent.
4. Which of the following method creates pores in the membrane?
a) Gene gun
b) Chemical transformation
Explanation: Electroporation is the method of transformation which creates pores in the membrane that allows molecules, ions, water to pass through it.
5. Which of the following particles is used in the gene gun method?
a) Iron particles
b) Aluminum particles
c) Silver particles
d) Gold particles
Explanation: Gene gun fires gold particles coated with the foreign DNA to the plant genome. Some of these particles pass through plant nucleus and integrate with the plant chromosome.
6. Which of the following shows the location of the inserted genes?
a) Palindromic sequences
b) Resistance gene
c) Restriction site
d) Marker gene
Explanation: Marker genes allow determining which plant contains the inserted gene. The selection of plant with desired gene is done by screening.
7. Which of the following is NOT true for agrobacterium?
a) Horizontal gene transfer
b) Gram positive bacteria
c) Causes tumor in plants
d) Transfer DNA in plants
Explanation: Agrobacterium is a gram negative bacterium which is used to transfer DNA into the plant. It was first discovered by H. J. Conn in the tumor of a plant.
8. Name the disease caused by Agrobacterium in plants?
a) Crown gall disease
b) Black knot
c) Downy Mildew
d) Early Blight
Explanation: Crown gall disease is caused by Agrobacterium tumefaciens, it is commonly found on woody shrubs and herbaceous plants.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Life Sciences.
To practice all areas of Life Sciences for online Quizzes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Life Sciences
- Participate in Life Sciences Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Life Sciences
- Take Life Sciences Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Biotechnology Books
- Apply for Biotechnology Internship
- Practice Biotechnology MCQs
- Apply for Life Sciences Internship
- Buy Life Sciences Books