This set of Life Sciences Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Animal Cell Culture”.
1. The growth of animal cells in vitro in a suitable culture medium is called___________
a) Gene expression
c) Plant tissue culture
d) Animal cell culture
Explanation: Animal cell culture is the process of growing cell in vitro in a suitable culture medium which contains a mixture of nutrients and growth factors.
2. Cells from kidney tissues cannot survive independently, it requires other surface for attachment and survival.
Explanation: Cells derived from kidney tissues are anchorage dependent primary cell culture which requires another surface for attachment and survival.
3. Name the type of culture which is prepared by inoculating directly from the tissue of an organism to culture media?
a) Primary cell culture
b) Secondary cell culture
c) Cell lines
d) Transformed cell culture
Explanation: Primary cell culture is the direct inoculation of the tissues of an organism into a culture medium without going prior to cell proliferation.
4. What is a cell line?
a) Multilayer culture
b) Transformed cells
c) Multiple growth of cells
d) Sub culturing of primary culture
Explanation: Cell line is defined as the sub culturing of primary cell culture. It can be a finite cell line or a infinite cell line.
5. Name the organism on which first cell line was observed?
Explanation: First cell line observed was mouse fibroblast L cell which was derived from connective tissues of mouse by exposing it to a chemical carcinogen.
6. Which of the following is the characteristics of a normal cell?
a) Anchorage independent
b) Continuous cell lines
c) Dependent on external growth factor
d) No contact inhibition
Explanation: A normal cell needs external factors for its survival. It is anchorage dependent and have a finite number of cell lines.
7. Name the cell line of the human embryonic lung?
Explanation: MRC-5 is the cell line of the human embryonic lung while HeLa is the cell line of human cervical carcinoma. L represents human connective tissue and WISH is the cell line of human amnion.
8. Which of the following is NOT the part of growth medium for animal culture?
c) Carbon source
d) Inorganic salts
Explanation: Growth medium of an animal cell contains serum (5-20%), nitrogen sources, inorganic salts, carbon sources, growth factors, buffer in water and vitamins.
9. Which of the following is NOT the major function of the serum?
a) Promotion of tuber and bulb formation
b) Stimulate cell growth
c) Enhance cell attachment
d) Provide transport proteins
Explanation: Serum is the primary component of growth medium which helps in cell attachment and growth. It also provides transport protein for carrying hormone, lipids, and minerals.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Life Sciences.
To practice all areas of Life Sciences, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.