This set of Instrumentation Transducers Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Pressure Measurement”.
1. Which of the following is detected using manometer devices?
a) Pressure difference between manometric and measuring liquid
b) pH difference between manometric and measuring liquid
c) Density difference between manometric and measuring liquid
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: In manometer devices pressure difference between manometric liquid and measuring liquid is obtained and it is equated to relation hϱg, ϱ is the mass density of manometric liquid.
2. What is the difference between water and transformer oil as manometric liquid?
a) Water is used for large pressure differential
b) Transformer oil is used for large pressure differential
c) Transformer oil has evaporation problems
d) Water has evaporation problems
Explanation: Both water and transformer oils are used in small pressure differential applications, but the difference is that water has problems related to relatively faster evaporation.
3. In which of the following categories be thin plate diaphragm included?
a) Primary transducer
b) Secondary transducer
c) Voltage measuring devices
d) Spring balance systems
Explanations: Primary transducers are devices which converts measurand into mechanical quantities. Diaphragm converts pressure into displacement which is a mechanical quantity.
4. Which of the following applications are suited for thin plate diaphragms?
a) Static pressure only
b) Dynamic pressure only
c) Both static and dynamic pressure with large frequency
d) Both static and dynamic pressure with small frequency
Explanation: Thin plate diaphragms can be used for measuring both static and dynamic pressures. But the limitation is that frequency of application should be small.
5. Using a membrane for measuring pressure, which of the following represents correct relation for displacement?
a) (R2 ΔP)/4S
c) (R2 ΔP)/S
d) (R2 ΔP)/2
Explanation: R is the radius of membrane and S is the radial tension in N/m. Displacement will be an indication of applied pressure.
6. Which of the following quantities can be measured using bellows?
a) Absolute pressure
b) Gauge pressure
c) Differential pressure
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: Bellows can be used for measuring Absolute pressure, Gauge pressure and Differential pressure of measuring medium. This is accomplished using two bellow chambers provided.
7. Which of the following conversion take place in bourdon tubes?
a) Pressure to displacement
b) Pressure to voltage
c) Pressure to strain
d) Pressure to force
Explanation: In bourdon tubes converts input pressure into displacement and displacement of needle will be directly proportional to input pressure.
8. ‘Capsules are made from diaphragms’. Is this statement true or false?
Explanation: Capsules are made by enclosing two identical corrugated diaphragms forming a closed chamber.
9. ‘In bellows pressure to displacement conversion takes place’. Is this statement true or false?
Explanation: In bellows pressure to force conversion takes place, which is acted on bellows and can be measured for calculating applied pressure.
10. Which of the following devices convert pressure to displacement?
d) Both diaphragm and capsule
Explanation: Both diaphragm and capsule converts pressure into displacement which can be measured using indicating instruments. Displacement will be proportional to applied pressure.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Instrumentation Transducers.
To practice all areas of Instrumentation Transducers, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.