This set of Computer Networks Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “RTP”.
1. Real-time transport protocol (RTP) is mostly used in _________
a) streaming media
b) video teleconference
c) television services
d) all of the mentioned
Explanation: RTP stands for Real-time transport protocol and is for delivering audio and video over IP networks. Its applications include streaming media, video teleconference, and television services.
2. RTP is used to ________
a) carry the media stream
b) monitor transmission statistics of streams
c) monitor quality of service of streams
d) secure the stream
Explanation: RTP is used to carry the media stream for delivering audio and video over IP networks. Its applications include streaming media, video teleconference, and television services.
3. RTP provides the facility of jitter ____________
a) media stream
c) media modification
Explanation: RTP provides the facility of jitter media stream through a jitter buffer which works by reconstructing the sequence of packets on the receiving side. Then an even audio / video stream is generated.
4. Which protocol provides the synchronization between media streams?
Explanation: RTCP stands for Real-time Transport Control Protocol and it works with RTP to send control packets to the users of the networks while RTP handles the actual data delivery.
5. An RTP session is established for ____________
a) each media stream
b) all media streams
c) some predefined number of media streams
d) no media stream
Explanation: An RTP session is required to be established for each media stream for delivering audio and video over the IP network. Each session has independent data transmission.
6. RTP can use __________
a) unprevileleged UDP ports
b) stream control transmission protocol
c) datagram congestion control protocol
d) all of the mentioned
Explanation: RTP uses unprevileleged UDP ports, stream control transmission protocol, and datagram congestion control protocol for data delivery over IP networks.
7. Which one of the following multimedia formats can not be supported by RTP?
Explanation: RTP is suitable only for multimedia and not for simple text files as the operation would result into wastage of resources. Other protocols like FTP are suitable for such transmissions.
8. An RTP header has a minimum size of _________
a) 12 bytes
b) 16 bytes
c) 24 bytes
d) 32 bytes
Explanation: Each RTP packet has a fixed header of size 12 bytes that contains essential control information like timestamp, payload type etc. for the receiving system processing.
9. Which one of the following is not correct?
a) RTCP provides canonical end-point identifiers to all session participants
b) RTCP reports are expected to be sent by all participants
c) RTCP itself does not provide any flow encryption or authentication methods
d) RTCP handles the actual data delivery
Explanation: RTCP works with RTP to send control packets to the users of the networks and provide canonical end-point identifiers to all session participants while RTP handles the actual data delivery.
10. Which protocol defines a profile of RTP that provides cryptographic services for the transfer of payload data?
Explanation: SRTP stands for Secure Real-time Transport Protocol. It is like an extension to RTP which provides stream security through encryption, message authentication and integrity, and replay attack protection.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Networks.
To practice all areas of Computer Networks, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Computer Networks
- Participate in Computer Networks Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Computer Networks
- Take Computer Networks Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10