This set of Computer Networks Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “IP Routing”.
1. Which type of Ethernet framing is used for TCP/IP and DEC net?
a) Ethernet 802.3
b) Ethernet 802.2
c) Ethernet II
d) Ethernet SNAP
Explanation: The Ethernet 802.3 framing is used for NetWare versions 2 to 3.11, and the Ethernet 802.2 framing is used for NetWare versions 3.12 and later plus OSI routing, Ethernet II is used with TCP/IP and DEC net, and Ethernet SNAP is used with TCP/IP and AppleTalk. The type field in Ethernet 802.2 frame is replaced by a length field in Ethernet 802.3.
2. Consider a situation in which you are a system administrator on a NetWare network, you are running NetWare 4.11 and you cannot communicate with your router. What is the likely problem?
a) NetWare 4.11 defaults to 802.2 encapsulation
b) NetWare 4.11 defaults to 802.3 encapsulation
c) Cisco routers only work with NetWare 3.11
d) NetWare 3.11 defaults to 802.2 encapsulation
Explanation: The default encapsulation on Cisco routers is Novell Ethernet_802.3 and NetWare 3.12and later defaults to 802.2 encapsulation, 3.11 and earlier defaults to 802.3.
3. NetWare IPX addressing uses a network number and a node number. Which statement is not true?
a) The network address is administratively assigned and can be up to 16 hexadecimal digits long
b) The node address is always administratively assigned
c) The node address is usually the MAC address
d) If the MAC address is used as the node address, then IPX eliminates the use of ARP
Explanation: The network address can be up to 16 hexadecimal digits in length. The node number is 12 hexadecimal digits. The node address is usually the MAC address. An example IPX address is 4a1d.0000.0c56.de33. The network part is 4a1d. The node part is 0000.0c56.de33. The network number is assigned by the system administrator of the Novell network and the MAC address/node address is not assigned by the administrator.
4. Which NetWare protocol works on layer 3–network layer—of the OSI model?
Explanation: IPX (Internetwork Packet Exchange) is the NetWare network layer 3 protocol used for transferring information on LANs that use Novell’s NetWare.
5. Which NetWare protocol provides link-state routing?
Explanation: NetWare Link Services Protocol (NLSP) provides link-state routing. SAP (Service Advertisement Protocol) advertises network services. NCP (NetWare Core Protocol) provides client-to-server connections and applications. RIP is a distance vector routing protocol. NLSP was developed by Novell to replace RIP routing protocols.
6. As a system administrator, you want to debug IGRP but are worried that the “debug IP IGRP transaction” command will flood the console. What is the command that you should use?
a) Debug IP IGRP event
b) Debug IP IGRP-events
c) Debug IP IGRP summary
d) Debug IP IGRP events
Explanation: The “debug IP IGRP events” is used to display a short summary of IGRP routing information. You can append an IP address onto either console’s command-line to see only the IGRP updates from a neighbor. The command will only give a short summary and hence won’t flood the command line.
7. What does the following series of commands “Router IGRP 71 network” accomplish?
10.0.0.0 router IGRP 109 network 18.104.22.168
a) It isolates networks 10.0.0.0 and 22.214.171.124
b) It loads IGRP for networks 109 and 71
c) It disables RIP
d) It disables all routing protocols
Explanation: It isolates network 10.0.0.0 and 126.96.36.199 and associates autonomous systems 109 and71 with IGRP. IGRP does not disable RIP, both can be used at the same time.
8. The “IPX delay number” command will allow an administrator to change the default settings. What are the default settings?
a) For LAN interfaces, one tick; for WAN interfaces, six ticks
b) For LAN interfaces, six ticks; for WAN interfaces, one tick
c) For LAN interfaces, zero ticks; for WAN interfaces, five ticks
d) For LAN interfaces, five ticks; for WAN interfaces, zero Ticks
Explanation: Tick is basically the update rate of clients in the network. The IPX delay number will give the ticks at a certain time. The default ticks are–for LAN interfaces, one tick, and for WAN interfaces, six ticks.
9. As a system administrator, you need to set up one Ethernet interface on the Cisco router to allow for both sap and Novell-ether encapsulations. Which set of commands will accomplish this?
a) Interface Ethernet 0.1 IPX encapsulation Novell-ether IPX network 9e interface
Ethernet 0.2 IPX network 6c
b) Interface Ethernet 0 IPX encapsulation Novell-ether IPX network 9e interface
Ethernet 0 IPX encapsulation sap IPX network 6c
c) Interface Ethernet 0.1 IPX encapsulation Novell-ether interface Ethernet 0.2 IPX
d) Interface Ethernet 0.1ipx encapsulation Novell-ether IPX network 9e interface
Ethernet 0.2 IPX encapsulation sap IPX network 6c
Explanation: The following commands setup the sub interfaces to allow for two types of encapsulation:interface Ethernet 0.1 IPX encapsulation Novell-ether IPX network 9e interface Ethernet0.2 IPX encapsulation sap IPX network 6c.
10. What does the “IPX maximum-paths 2” command accomplish?
a) It enables load sharing on 2 paths if the paths are equal metric paths
b) It sets up routing to go to network 2
c) It is the default for Cisco IPX load sharing
d) It enables load sharing on 2 paths if the paths are unequal metric paths
Explanation: It enables load sharing on 2 paths if the paths are equal metric paths. The default is 1 path and the maximum is 512 paths. The value must always be greater than 1 and must be a natural number.
11. You want to enable both arpa and snap encapsulation on one router interface. How do you do this?
a) The interface can handle multiple encapsulation types with no extra configuration
b) Assign two network numbers, one for each encapsulation type
c) Enable Novell-ether to run multiple encapsulation types
d) Both arpa and snap are enabled by default so you don’t have to configure anything
Explanation: To assign multiple network numbers, you usually use sub interfaces. A sample configuration follows: IPXEthernet 0.1 IPX encapsulation novell-ether ipx network 9e interface ethernet 0.2 ipx encapsulation sap ipx network 6c
12. By default, Cisco routers forward GNS SAPs to remote networks.
Explanation: GNS is Novell’s protocol to Get Nearest Server. If there is a server on the local network,that server will respond. If there isn’t, the Cisco router has to be configured to forward theGNS SAP.
13. To prevent Service Advertisements (SAPs) from flooding a network, Cisco routers do not forward them. How are services advertised to other networks?
a) Each router builds its own SAP table and forwards that every 60 seconds
b) Each router assigns a service number and broadcasts that
c) SAPs aren’t necessary with Cisco routers
d) Cisco routers filter out all SAPs
Explanation: Cisco routers build SAP tables and forward the table every 60 seconds. All SAPs can’t befiltered even with 4.x since NDS and time synchronization uses SAPs.
14. Novell’s implementation of RIP updates routing tables every _________ seconds.
Explanation: Novell’s RIP updates routing tables every 60 seconds, Apple’s RTMP is every 10 seconds, routers ARP every 60 seconds, IGRP signal every 90 seconds, and Banyan VINES signals every 90 seconds.
15. In Novell’s use of RIP, there are two metrics used to make routing decisions. Select the correct metrics.
a) Ticks & Hops
b) Hops & Loops
c) Loops & Counts
d) Counts & Ticks
Explanation: It first uses ticks (which is about 1/18 sec.); if there is a tie, it uses hops; if hops are equal, then it uses an administratively assigned tiebreaker.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Networks.
To practice all areas of Computer Networks, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Computer Networks
- Participate in Computer Networks Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Computer Networks
- Take Computer Networks Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Computer Science Books
- Practice MCA MCQs
- Apply for Computer Network Internship
- Practice Computer Science MCQs
- Buy Computer Network Books