This set of Computer Networks Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Transport Layer”.
1. Transport layer aggregates data from different applications into a single stream before passing it to ____________
a) network layer
b) data link layer
c) application layer
d) physical layer
Explanation: The flow of data in the OSI model flows in following manner Application -> Presentation -> Session -> Transport -> Network -> Data Link -> Physical. Each and every layer has its own set of functions and protocols to ensure efficient network performance.
2. Which of the following are transport layer protocols used in networking?
a) TCP and FTP
b) UDP and HTTP
c) TCP and UDP
d) HTTP and FTP
Explanation: Both TCP and UDP are transport layer protocol in networking. TCP is an abbreviation for Transmission Control Protocol and UDP is an abbreviation for User Datagram Protocol. TCP is connection oriented whereas UDP is connectionless.
3. User datagram protocol is called connectionless because _____________
a) all UDP packets are treated independently by transport layer
b) it sends data as a stream of related packets
c) it is received in the same order as sent order
d) it sends data very quickly
Explanation: UDP is an alternative for TCP and it is used for those purposes where speed matters most whereas loss of data is not a problem. UDP is connectionless whereas TCP is connection oriented.
4. Transmission control protocol ___________
a) is a connection-oriented protocol
b) uses a three way handshake to establish a connection
c) receives data from application as a single stream
d) all of the mentioned
Explanation: TCP provides reliable and ordered delivery of a stream of bytes between hosts communicating via an IP network. Major internet applications like www, email, file transfer etc rely on TCP. TCP is connection oriented and it is optimized for accurate delivery rather than timely delivery.
5. An endpoint of an inter-process communication flow across a computer network is called __________
Explanation: Socket is one end point in a two way communication link in the network. TCP layer can identify the application that data is destined to be sent by using the port number that is bound to socket.
6. Socket-style API for windows is called ____________
Explanation: Winsock is a programming interface which deals with input output requests for internet applications in windows OS. It defines how windows network software should access network services.
7. Which one of the following is a version of UDP with congestion control?
a) datagram congestion control protocol
b) stream control transmission protocol
c) structured stream transport
d) user congestion control protocol
Explanation: The datagram congestion control is a transport layer protocol which deals with reliable connection setup, teardown, congestion control, explicit congestion notification, and feature negotiation. It is used in modern day systems where there are really high chances of congestion. The protocol was last updated in the year 2008.
8. A _____ is a TCP name for a transport service access point.
Explanation: Just as the IP address identifies the computer, the network port identifies the application or service running on the computer. A port number is 16 bits. The combination of IP address preceded with the port number is called the socket address.
9. Transport layer protocols deals with ____________
a) application to application communication
b) process to process communication
c) node to node communication
d) man to man communication
Explanation: Transport layer is 4th layer in TCP/IP model and OSI reference model. It deals with logical communication between process. It is responsible for delivering a message between network host.
10. Which of the following is a transport layer protocol?
a) stream control transmission protocol
b) internet control message protocol
c) neighbor discovery protocol
d) dynamic host configuration protocol
Explanation: The Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) is a transport layer protocol used in networking system where streams of data are to be continuously transmitted between two connected network nodes. Some of the other transport layer protocols are RDP, RUDP, TCP, DCCP, UDP etc.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Networks.
To practice all areas of Computer Networks, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Computer Networks
- Participate in Computer Networks Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Computer Networks
- Take Computer Networks Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Practice MCA MCQs
- Buy Computer Science Books
- Apply for Computer Network Internship
- Practice Computer Science MCQs
- Apply for Computer Science Internship