This set of Computer Networks Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “TCP-1”.
1. Which of the following is false with respect to TCP?
c) Transport layer protocol
Explanation: TCP is a transport layer protocol that provides reliable and ordered delivery of a stream of bytes between hosts communicating via an IP network.
2. In TCP, sending and receiving data is done as _______
a) Stream of bytes
b) Sequence of characters
c) Lines of data
Explanation: TCP provides stream oriented delivery between hosts communicating via an IP network and there are no message boundaries. TCP can concatenate data from a number of send () commands into one stream of data and still transmit it reliably.
3. TCP process may not write and read data at the same speed. So we need __________ for storage.
Explanation: A TCP receiver has a receive buffer that is used to store the unprocessed incoming packets in case the sender is sending packets faster than the processing rate of the received packets.
4. TCP groups a number of bytes together into a packet called _______
Explanation: A segment may be collection of data from many send () statements. TCP transmits each segment as a stream of bytes.
5. Communication offered by TCP is ________
d) Byte by byte
Explanation: Data can flow both the directions at the same time during a TCP communication hence, it is full-duplex. This is the reason why TCP is used in systems that require full-duplex operation such as e-mail systems.
6. To achieve reliable transport in TCP, ___________ is used to check the safe and sound arrival of data.
Explanation: Acknowledgment mechanism is used to check the safe and sound arrival of data. The sender actively checks for acknowledgement from the receiver and once a specific time period has passed, it retransmits the data.
7. In segment header, sequence number and acknowledgement number fields refer to _______
a) Byte number
b) Buffer number
c) Segment number
Explanation: As TCP has to ensure ordered delivery of packets, sequence number and acknowledgement number are used to identify the byte number of the packet in the stream of bytes being transmitted.
8. Suppose a TCP connection is transferring a file of 1000 bytes. The first byte is numbered 10001. What is the sequence number of the segment if all data is sent in only one segment?
Explanation: The sequence number given to first byte of a segment, with respect to its order among the previous segments, is the sequence number of that segment.
9. Bytes of data being transferred in each connection are numbered by TCP. These numbers start with a _________
a) Fixed number
b) Random sequence of 0’s and 1’s
d) Sequence of zero’s and one’s
Explanation: One might expect the sequence number of the first byte in the stream to be 0, or 1. But that does not happen in TCP, Instead, the sender has to choose an Initial Sequence Number (ISN), which is basically a random 32 bit sequence of 0’s and 1’s, during the connection handshake.
10. The value of acknowledgement field in a segment defines _______
a) sequence number of the byte received previously
b) total number of bytes to receive
c) sequence number of the next byte to be received
d) sequence of zeros and ones
Explanation: The acknowledgement field in a segment defines the sequence number of the byte which is to be received next i.e. sequence number of byte that the sender should transmit next.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Networks.
To practice all areas of Computer Networks, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Computer Networks
- Participate in Computer Networks Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Computer Networks
- Take Computer Networks Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10