This set of Computer Networks Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Topology”.
1. Physical or logical arrangement of network is __________
Explanation: Topology in networks is the structure or pattern in which each and every node in the network is connected. There are many topologies in networking like bus, tree, ring, star, mesh, and hybrid topology. There is no particular best topology and a suitable topology can be chosen based on the kind of application of the network .
2. Which network topology requires a central controller or hub?
Explanation: In star topology, no computer is connected to another computer directly but all the computers are connected to a central hub. Every message sent from a source computer goes through the hub and the hub then forwards the message only to the intended destination computer.
3. _______ topology requires a multipoint connection.
Explanation: In bus topology, there is a single cable to which all the network nodes are connected. So whenever a node tries to send a message or data to other nodes, this data passes through all other nodes in the network through the cable. It is really simple to install but it’s not secure enough to be used in most of the computer network applications.
4. Data communication system spanning states, countries, or the whole world is ________
Explanation: WAN is the abbreviation for Wide Area Network. This network extends over a large geographical area. WANs are used to connect cities, states or even countries. A wireless connection is required to build a WAN. The best example of WAN is the Internet.
5. Data communication system within a building or campus is________
Explanation: LAN is an abbreviation for Local Area Network. This network interconnects computers in a small area such as schools, offices, residence etc. It is the most versatile kind of data communication system where most of the computer network concepts can be visibly used.
6. WAN stands for __________
a) World area network
b) Wide area network
c) Web area network
d) Web access network
Explanation: WAN is the abbreviation for Wide Area Network. This network extends over a large geographical area. These are used to connect cities, states or even countries. They can be connected through leased lines or satellites.
7. In TDM, slots are further divided into __________
Explanation: TDM is the abbreviation for Time division multiplexing. It is technique for combining several low rate channels to a single high rate channel. For a certain time slot, the several channels could use the maximum bandwidth. Each channel is inactive for a period of time too. Some other multiplexing techniques are Frequency division multiplexing and Phase division multiplexing.
8. _____ is the multiplexing technique that shifts each signal to a different carrier frequency.
c) Both FDM & TDM
Explanation: FDM is an abbreviation for Frequency Division Multiplexing. This technique is used when the bandwidth of the channel is greater than the combined bandwidth of all the signals which are to be transmitted. The channel is active at all times unless a collision occurs with another channel trying to use the same frequency. Some other multiplexing techniques are Time division multiplexing and Phase division multiplexing.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Networks.
To practice all areas of Computer Networks, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Computer Networks
- Participate in Computer Networks Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Computer Networks
- Take Computer Networks Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10