This set of Computer Networks Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “RIP v1”.
1. Which protocol should you select if the network diameter is more than 17 hops?
d) Both RIPv1 and RIPv2
Explanation: RIP v1 has network diameter is more than 17 hopes.
2. How often does a RIPv1 router broadcast its routing table by default?
a) Every 30 seconds
b) Every 60 seconds
c) Every 90 seconds
d) RIPv1 does not broadcast periodically
Explanation: Every 30 seconds RIPv1 router broadcast its routing table by default.
3. Which command displays RIP routing updates?
a) Show IP route
b) Debug IP rip
c) Show protocols
d) Debug IP route
Explanation: The debug IP rip command is used to show the Internet Protocol (IP) Routing Information Protocol (RIP) updates being sent and received on the router.
4. Two connected routers are configured with RIP routing. What will be the result when a router receives a routing update that contains a higher-cost path to a network already in its routing table?
a) The updated information will be added to the existing routing table Debug IP rip
b) The update will be ignored and no further action will occur Debug IP route
c) The updated information will replace the existing routing table entry
d) The existing routing table entry will be deleted from the routing table and all routers will exchange routing updates to reach convergence
Explanation: When a routing update is received by a router, the router first checks the administrative distance (AD) and always chooses the route with the lowest AD. However, if two routes are received and they both have the same AD, then the router will choose the one route with the lowest metrics, or in RIP’s case, hop count.
5. You type debug IP rip on your router console and see that 172.16.10.0 is being advertised to you with a metric of 16. What does this mean?
a) The route is 16 hops away Debug IP rip
b) The route has a delay of 16 microseconds Debug IP route
c) The route is inaccessible
d) The route is queued at 16 messages a second
Explanation: You cannot have 16 hops on a RIP network by default. If you receive a route advertised with a metric of 16, this means it is inaccessible.
6. Default administrative distance of Static Route
Explanation: 1 is the default administrative distance of Static Route.
7. Which protocol gives a full route table update every 30 seconds?
c) both IEGRP and RIP
d) none of the mentioned
Explanation: RIP gives a full route table update every 30 seconds.
8. Default administrative distance of RIP
Explanation: Default administrative distance of RIP is 120.
9. Which statement is true regarding classless routing protocol?
a) The use of discontinuous networks is not allowed
b) Use of variable length subnet masks is permitted
c) RIPv1 is a classless routing protocol
d) IGRP supports classes routing within the same autonomous system
Explanation: Use of variable length subnet masks is permittedis true regarding classless routing protocol.
10. Where we should use default routing
a) On stub networks- which have only one exit path out of the network
b) Which have more than one exit path out of the network
c) Minimum five exit paths out of the network
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: On stub networks- which have only one exit path out of the networkuse default routing.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Networks.
To practice all areas of Computer Networks, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.