This set of Computer Networks Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Application Layer – 2”.
1. The ____________ translates internet domain and host names to IP address.
a) domain name system
b) routing information protocol
c) network time protocol
d) internet relay chat
Explanation: Domain name system is the way the internet domain names are stored and translated to IP addresses. The domain names systems matches the name of website to ip addresses of the website.
2. Which one of the following allows a user at one site to establish a connection to another site and then pass keystrokes from local host to remote host?
Explanation: Telnet is used for accessing remote computers. Using telnet a user can access computer remotely. With Telnet, you can log on as a regular user with whatever privileges you may have been granted to the specific application and data on the computer.
3. Application layer protocol defines ____________
a) types of messages exchanged
b) message format, syntax and semantics
c) rules for when and how processes send and respond to messages
d) all of the mentioned
Explanation: Application layer deals with the user interface, what message is to be sent or the message format, syntax and semantics. A user has access to application layer for sending and receiving messages.
4. Which one of the following protocol delivers/stores mail to reciever server?
a) simple mail transfer protocol
b) post office protocol
c) internet mail access protocol
d) hypertext transfer protocol
Explanation: SMTP, abbreviation for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol is an application layer protocol. A client who wishes to send a mail creates a TCP connection to the SMTP server and then sends the mail across the connection.
5. The ASCII encoding of binary data is called
a) base 64 encoding
b) base 32 encoding
c) base 16 encoding
d) base 8 encoding
Explanation: Base64 is used commonly in a number of applications including email via MIME, and storing complex data in XML. Problem with sending normal binary data to a network is that bits can be misinterpreted by underlying protocols, produce incorrect data at receiving node and that is why we use this code.
6. Which one of the following is an internet standard protocol for managing devices on IP network?
a) dynamic host configuration protocol
b) simple network management protocol
c) internet message access protocol
d) media gateway protocol
Explanation: SNMP is a set of protocols for network management and monitoring. This protocol is included in the application layer. SNMP uses 7 protocol data units.
7. Which one of the following is not an application layer protocol?
a) media gateway protocol
b) dynamic host configuration protocol
c) resource reservation protocol
d) session initiation protocol
Explanation: Resource reservation protocol is used in transport layer. It is designed to reserve resources across a network for quality of service using the integrated services model.
8. Which protocol is a signaling communication protocol used for controlling multimedia communication sessions?
a) session initiation protocol
b) session modelling protocol
c) session maintenance protocol
d) resource reservation protocol
Explanation: SIP is a signaling protocol in which its function includes initiating, maintaining and terminating real time sessions. SIP is used for signaling and controlling multimedia sessions.
9. Which one of the following is not correct?
a) Application layer protocols are used by both source and destination devices during a communication session
b) HTTP is a session layer protocol
c) TCP is an application layer protocol
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: HTTP is an application layer protocol. Whereas TCP is a transport layer protocol.
10. When displaying a web page, the application layer uses the _____________
a) HTTP protocol
b) FTP protocol
c) SMTP protocol
d) TCP protocol
Explanation: HTTP is abbreviation for hypertext transfer protocol. It is the foundation of data communication for world wide web. This protocol decides how the message is formatted and transmitted etc.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Computer Networks.
To practice all areas of Computer Networks, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Computer Networks
- Participate in Computer Networks Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Computer Networks
- Take Computer Networks Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Computer Network Books
- Apply for Computer Network Internship
- Practice MCA MCQs
- Practice Computer Science MCQs
- Apply for Computer Science Internship